Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 01-28-2024, 03:27 PM

Exclamation Can some of the experienced FB owners come in here

So I’m not on FB, but as was wondering if someone can just get the word out on the FB page to have some of the experienced TX owners come in here for some equipment questions…. I’ve tried reaching out to T.Scharp via an old gmail email, figured maybe it’s no longer working as I never heard back. I can’t find any contact info for Tom Mallette. I’ve even PM’d every member on here who has or used to have a TX unit and have not received one response…

I’ve been trying my absolute best researching and googling on my own until there isn’t any more Google left regarding interior and trunk equipment that was used while in-service and I’m just not finding what I need…. Yes, I’ve gone over the TX agency doc on here (multiple times).

So if anyone can please just stop in from the FB site and lend me just a few mins of their time, it’s greatly appreciated.

1) When viewing multiple online images of the TX units during their in-service period or even restored, I’m seeing (2) rear antennas in many of the images, even on some of the 1993’s. I know for 93, they were using the DB702 on the center of the trunk lid. I have acquired a complete NOS in the package DB702 w/ correct whip for my 93. This would link up to the Motorola Systems 9000 (or often referred to as the Motorola Syntor). But my question is, what is the secondary rear antenna and what did it go to?

2) In addition to the cabin Motorola control head unit, was the car also equipped with either an additional CB unit or scanner unit - which may explain the secondary rear antenna?? I’ve seen images of some units online (restored by some members) as having what appears to be Midland CB units. I’ve determined from one image I found online, it was a Midland 77-104 CB transceiver. I’ve seen other images though where the CB unit is much larger than the 77-104 and is mounted vertically to either side of the center console. In another image, in the cubby below the factory radio, it looks like either a scanner or CB unit was mounted in that space - but very hard to tell from the image exactly what it is. Can anyone shed light as to what other radio equipment was found in the TX units excluding the Motorola?

3) What did the TX units have in the trunk as standard in-service equipment? First aid kits? Spike strips? Flares? I know they had the long gun mounted to the underside of the trunk lid. I know the Motorola equipment was mounted on the right (passenger) side of the trunk floor. But what else was found in the trunk of an in-service unit that was issued for the Officer’s need/use? Does anyone have any images of TX trunks either period in-service or from those who have restored to period correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out with the above questions. If there are images that can be posted, even better.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP