Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM
CHiPster

Default Fender spacing??

I am having a big problem with my resto. I am having a big argument with my body shop over the spacing between the fenders, hood, and the bumper cover. I have a huge space on the right side fender and the hood and the left side looks to be just right. The front of the hood and the bumper cover do not align correctly.

Before the car went into the shop, all was square, the hood lined up perfect with the bumper cover and the fenders. Now nothing looks right. The bumper cover that was on the car before it went into the shop is not the same one that is on now. The old one had to be replaced.

According to the shop, the difference in spacing is because the front bumper cover is not OE and it is not square with the mounting holes of the fenders. Blah, Blah, My response to them is "That is not my problem". They had told me prior to starting the project that all would be fine after they get done with it.

I told them that they should have figured the spacing out prior to painting and should have given me the option of buying another, OE bumper cover. Well that did not happen and they went ahead and painted and placed the cover with what is a terrible and uneven spacing on either sides of the fenders and hood. Also, the front ends of the hood do not end flush with the fenders. They stick out approximately 1/8 inches.

Has anyone here had any problems with this. If so please let me know if I am wrong to want my car to be done right!!! I can tell the shop does not like it when I show up because they are going to hear it from me. Not to mention they have had the car for almost 6 months. I am not a happy camper right now and I am about to tell the shop to stop all work and just let me take it home.

I am not close to any "body shop man" but to do a job where things do not align or square up, I should have just done it myself in the garage and done a half ass job!! My understanding is the shop people have the skills to make things fit right.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 AM

As a body shop owner I can understand your concern. I've been rebuilding and repairing Fox bodys for 25 years and panel gaps can be a pain. I agree that the panels should have been pre-fitted and any gap problems should have been taken care of at that time. There is alot of adjusting that can be done to cure the problem. What has to be done is to re-adjust the whole front end so that the gaps are as uniform as possible. It's very time consuming but can be done. You can have a perfectly gaped front end, replace the hood with a new OEM part and have problems. The shop that painted your car should have made sure it was right when it left. They just need to take the time and do it right. Doug
Old 10-08-2007, 10:09 AM

And if the bumper cover you are using is from Daniel Carpenter dont let them use that as an excuse either. Sounds as if the doors need to be moved forwards first and then the rest of the assembly adjusted to fit. The gap from the cowl side to the fender is a tough one- It often requires some creative bending to get things straight and tight.

The most important thing to remember is that these cars (especially the earlier ones) were made with far less quality control than they do today. Next time we get together I will show you the hatch on my green Cobra- I could spend days aligning it and it just runs me in circles readjusting the same gaps. Bottom line is that if it is close you are the only one that will notice it anyway.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/horseplayauto/
Old 10-08-2007, 04:11 PM
CHiPster

The person who I contracted with is looking at this post and I thank him for taking the time to monitor it. This is a public forum and I never tried to post something that I consider "hiding from a person". While we agree to disagree over the finished product at least we are in agreement that I have not misrepresented our conversation with what I have posted here.

To clarify the "Blah, Blah" part on my original post, that pertained to the rest of the conversation that he and I had over all else on the car. This included him telling me that the car is 100% better now than when it arrived at the shop. While that is a true statement, it is not "100% better" that I am looking for. I am looking for a great finished product. He is a person that knows the show circuit as I do; I hope that he looks at my car through the eye of a judge and a fellow mustang enthusiast.

I am not bashing anyone here IMO. I am criticizing the shop but I have not mentioned their name or the name of the person who I contracted with to do the job. The way I look at it is that if the shoe fits, wear it.

On the flip side, the car does look great if I overlook the spacing problem. He did have the shop redo the side moldings that originally were placed on the car with less than care. The original paint person did an outstanding job and the original body person also did work that I can only praise. I hope I can say the same about the person(s) who complete this resto.

In conclusion, I just updated the photobucket with 11 new pictures to the 86 FHP. The pictures will show what I am talking about. Any and all responses will be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:56 PM

The car does look great overall. The front bumper cover makes me want to keep the stock bumper cover on my '87 GT instead of using the "Stalker" one I bought when I get the funds for paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSP110.jpg (74.7 KB, 66 views)
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Admin

I hope you get it worked out, Marcos. The pic that Brian posted in this thread speaks for itself. I wouldn't be happy with that gap, either.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
CHiPster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkSVT
did you resolve the bumper cover issues with the shop or just decide to cut your losses . After the guy I used screwed up my decals I was pretty much done with him...I wasnt happy with the orange peel he left but figured I would just get the car out of there and have someone else wetsand and buff it rather than continue complaining and having him screw it up more. Sometimes you gotta just cut bait and run. :twocents:
The problem was never resolved per say. We did come to an agreement that I will take the car home and I will try to square the problem. If I have to buy an OE bumper cover, the shop will repaint it for free.

Unfortunately the car has its little things that were over looked like placing the splash guards back under the fenders and small paint chips that have to be taken care of. I am sure the shop will fix these problems but it is the attention to detail that they are really lacking in. The paint it self is very nice and of quality.

As the car was taken to the house on the flatbed, several people and young kids looked at the car with a WOW!! face. Wait until it is complete.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM

Hang in there. There are always a number of small issues that crop up when you're taking on a project of this magnitude. Have patience and just keep pressing on until the day arrives when you can step back and exclaim..."Wow! Look what I've created!"
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 10-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Those aftermarket covers never seem to line up correctly by the front fenders, I have seen a bunch just like yours.