Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs/Parts Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Special Service Mustangs/Parts Wanted Cars and Parts wanted here.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Default I am seriously looking for an AL car

I am late to this particular party, but hello folks. Im so glad I found you.

I am quietly looking for an AL car to surprise the hell out of my wife with..

I dont care how long it takes, but I will attept this and if it takes all year to find a decent project-car, i am sure and dedicated to my new goal.

My wife is a State Procecutor in Alabama and works all day representing the state and county vs. people who run afoul of the law in the county... so she works directly on a dialy basis with AL Troopers/Deputies all day making cases. She sponsors a track day sometimes where troopers and cops get to get on the track and have some fun driving fast, not the usual, dangerous way they usually have to drive fast. She is also a State Cert. Vehicular Homicide investigator, and not being an actual trooper, she drives her Grand Cherokee to the scene to measure skid-marks and all that.. how freakin cool would it be for her to pull up in a (private) SS stang with all the lights (actually needed ) and the whole shootin match?!? yes, oh yes. I would get husband of the year for that reality.

I want a SSM for my wife that we/I also can do track days in, (NOT door-to-door, so don't get your bristles up you all-original-folks) and take to shows, drive on Sundays, yadda yadda, the same exact reasons most of you want/have one.

My wife grew up in Redding, CA area, so if I cannot get a decent AL project car at any reasonable price, then a CHP would be a close second choice. Seeing as my wife and I work in AL, and I'm from here, I prefer a AL car myself, but you can't ALWAYS get what you want, no? :-)

In doing a surface little research here, it seems the AL cars are more rare. well, crap. i understand that CA back then is gonna need waaay more cars than AL, i get that obviously.

I am very seriously interested in:

A. a legit AL car that is as correct as possible, I plan on paint and stickers so if its pink on the outside but the mechanics are solid and everything isnt sold out of the interior, then not a huge easter-egg hunt.

B. A legit CHP car as complete as possible, interior ok, mechanicals sound.

C. Another UHP, mail mustang, Florida car, whatever, that could be painted to be a AL car. I really don't want a 'feaux' AL Mustang, but hey that's why there are a million Cobra Replicas, cause buying a real Cobra is tricky and expensive.

I do not expect to find a nice car for 2k. I get that too. I am willing to pay a fair market value, considering all factors and how far the car is from what I want it to be, where it is and all that.
I have a truck and trailer, and I have shipped VW's and racecars cross-country several times so im not worried about where the car sits now, as long as it seems to be the right one for me.

This car will be loved, restored, and cherished by my wife and I for a long long time.

I sincerely thank you for reading this, and if I find a car soon, then I will be back here with (hopefully less-than) the usual questions.

I am not a day-dreamer, I want in.

I wish I could camp out on here all day waiting, but alas my business and 20 employees don't care a bit about John's little Mustang dream. so, please please let me know if one comes up. I could maybe go 8-10k, ish, assuming that some work/parts still need to be done and I don't have to start with an every-day coupe with the right vin and that's it. a Perfect car, I will go to the bank if that's what it takes.

Sounds like I need to be much more interested in how many correct accessories/wheels I will need to hunt down for the inside to be close to right than the color the car may be now..

might trade up or down for a 63 T-bird with a 390 motor, all original black-plate CA car.

I thank you gentlemen.

respectfully,
John B.
Madison, AL
256-682-1096 cell
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Hi John!

Welcome to the forum!

Below is a link to a listing for a likely 1988 Alabama SSP, which is only a few weeks old -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=4079

The original CL ad has been deleted. I have a good email address for the seller, so I sent him a message just now to see if he still has it. If it is sold, I asked him if there's a way to get in touch with the new owner. I will let you know what he says...
Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
I sent him a message just now to see if he still has it. If it is sold, I asked him if there's a way to get in touch with the new owner. I will let you know what he says...
The seller replied back and said the car is gone and he does not have contact information for the buyer.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Thank you. I will 'wait in the tall grass'....... but it looks like a CHP car is my best bet.
god help me, I might be the only one.. but I just am not wild about ebay .. for certain things.

I always feel like the seller's brother or best friend is trying to bid me up... :-(

especially with this kind of item that is more than 10 bucks, I want to kick tires and look the seller in the eyes and all that. Don't want to feel, when I'm looking for something as special as a car project, to feel like I'm getting it out of a vending machine.
- sorry, I know one that os not known should not rant at all on the second post. sorry.

Fla car that stays a Fla car looks logistically possible for me to go see in person and get, I am dissappointed that there are not at least a few decent AL cars around, but oi vey.

John

Last edited by Yellowhammer; 03-02-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: ocb mostly. ha
Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM

again, thanks.. if you guys keep me in mind, I'll be around. thanks.

beer usually makes a good finder's fee, no?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM

still looking, and looks like it might be a long wait... oi vey.

.... well, In the mean time,
while 'waiting for a sighting of the "Lock-Ness Monster" as seems to be. ...rofc/l..

* I did dun bought this here red/red 1990 Notchback.. (still not the easy-estish to find one that's still decent/solid/someone will part with for reasonable money)

...just to play around with.. ya know? <evil grin>
shhh.

I don't have time for build thread.. clock is ticking.. later.

can someone delete this thread?? <bows> thanks.
John
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM

Smile

...... ok, I'm back ... year and a half later. I asked to delete this thread, but since not, I'll update it then.. lol.

year ago:
I bought a 90 coupe to do a SSP .. ish AL clone/ track car.

red/red 90 LX coupe, 5 speed, roll-up windows, 4-cyl shell , non-sunroof shell... with healthy 302 carb motor, light coupe, fast, I thought I was off and going on this project... it was in the paintbooth....
tore it alll apart.

uh well....

I wasn't crazy about this particular hotrod, pretty dang fast though....but sitting too low, too tight of drag-strip-ish suspension, battery in the truck, no equipment at all,
but hey, I was gonna change a LOT - blue interior, toal shell re-spray to cover all that red, yikes... more than you think... well, I got some 10-hole wheels and the correct caps, so there was some good news.

and the fine fellow I got the coupe from, he didn't see fit to tell me that it had been wrecked at one time: &@%#!

Didn't know what to do, so I pulled the frame, painted it back 'Re-Sale Red' ... and got it moved to the next happy owner. phew.

I am still, or again, very interested in a legit 88 AL DPS car...

*** any condition considered. I can trade up, down, or sideways for a Florida Highway Patrol car that I have that you can drive home....

....Or I have no choice than to (soon) offend the purists and * keeping and carefully removing all FL stuff/interior * making this FL car into an AL (correct as possible) replica.... grr. Thanks John 256-682-1097 cell/TEXT. thx.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM

Welcome back, John! Those Alabama SSPs are hard to find. Do you already have an FHP Mustang that you can use to make a clone? At least with a FHP there were relatively large numbers produced so you're not sacrificing a rare SSP to make a clone. Although I personally am not a fan of clones, the overall police car collecting hobby readily accepts them. So have at it and build your dream car!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Welcome back, John! Those Alabama SSPs are hard to find. Do you already have an FHP Mustang that you can use to make a clone? At least with a FHP there were relatively large numbers produced so you're not sacrificing a rare SSP to make a clone. Although I personally am not a fan of clones, the overall police car collecting hobby readily accepts them. So have at it and build your dream car!
Thx. No, I obviously would rather have a legit car, please show me one for sale, anywhere? .... no. rats.

+ the owner of the one that was restored in Indiana, he is very nice, but politely declined to sell me that car, and I totally understand that.. probably best for both of us that he got it first and we were not bidding against each other to get it, that could have been ugly. lol.

The hunt continues... however in the meantime yes, I will do a FL > AL car, that all FL material will be retained and boxed. If I come across a real AL car > then FL car becomes FL car again. No sweat.

Cheers,
John
Old 10-10-2013, 01:42 PM
VIN guru

You might be able to scare up one other 1988 AL DPS, if you they are still alive and you knew where.

At least four of them are still in Alabama.

http://foxchassis.com/files/SSP/ALTitleCheck.xlsx

Others you would have to do a Carfax or Autocheck and figure out if they're still on the road and in which state. Then place a want ad in that area?