Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:50 AM

Default New from NC : what drives valuation of SSP vehicles ?

Hello and greetings from North Carolina!

I’ve been out of the old car hobby for about 4 years and recently started to think about SSP Mustangs.

I’ve spent about a month researching these vehicles, but very little information exists concerning what drives valuation.

Assuming that vehicle conditions are identical, are some SSP’s considered more or less desirable based on:

Number of cars delivered to a particular state agency?
Their service location (State)?
Marked vs unmarked vehicles?
Does service history impact price (CHP vs. USPS)?

As mention, I’m new to this marque so any input is appreciated.Thanks!

Bert Cooper
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM

Bert, welcome to the forum. Let me give you one man's take on your questions.

Generally speaking, a multi-colored marked unit from a state agency with a manual transmission will be the most desirable SSP. There are exceptions of course.

Any SSP with agency documentation will be more desirable than an undocumented car. In-service photos can assist with finishing a correct restoration, plus it is great to see how a car looked while being used.

In terms of usage, the CHP, FHP, TxDPS, and SCHP ordered the most SSPs, but they are also the most popular among collectors (generally speaking) because those are the cars that most folks recall from their youth. Some smaller agencies will appeal to people because of a personal connection they have to that agency.

SSPs with the 5-spd transmission are preferred by many over the automatic, but that won't stop somebody who wants a Georgia State Patrol SSP (only the '83s were manuals). Personally, I figure the transmission is irrelevant on a show car because it is only being driven on & off a trailer. A 5-spd is obviously more fun on a driver-SSP, but as collectors age they may prefer the auto.

Currently, I think it is near impossible to restore a SSP and be able to sell it at a profit. The costs are too high to restore a car, so buying one already restored is the best opportunity for anyone who is concerned about a return on their investment dollars. Thankfully, most restorers out there are in the hobby because the get a great deal of satisfaction from these unique collector cars.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:58 PM

Thank you for your comments, Bill.

How important are the buck tags?

Will the VIN and DSO number (once researched) provide the same information?

Thank you,
Burt
Old 03-23-2016, 07:13 PM

The buck tags are important in terms of a SSP being a complete restoration, but the information can be obtained through a Marti Report. The tags are just another piece of the puzzle making up these cars.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 AM

Bill is right the costs of doing a car are very high and it's getting more difficult every year to find the correct parts. On the other hand if you like challange then a SSP mustang can be fun.
82 CHP Unit#870366
86 TX DPS M6-380
Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 PM

I did not buy / find and restore my car with
any though of selling it. For the most part the
original group to this hobby were not in to these
cars to make a profit but rather to SAVE them
from the full cage, wheel well cut open and destroyed
throw away Drag Cars that most became
after their In Service Life.
Sometimes things in your life change and you
have to sell your SSP but I am not a fan of the
flippers that see a new market (SSP Mustangs)
and exploit it. People that find an old car and
put it back to new call it restoring it. We refer
the restoration of these cars as (Saving It.)
These cars have a story to tell
and we like to help them tell it.
Marked not marked
Auto or Std shift
Agency that used it
Where it was in Service
they all have a Story.
Buy it / restore it because you like it!
not because car A will be worth more
then car B in the future.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks Andy.
and yeah, I totally agree. The flippers and dealers have about wrecked everything about the old car hobby.

Regardless of vehicle choice, every forum is filled with dealers stating, "no doubt these will continue to increase in value". It's like listening to real estate agents.

It's funny, because every vehicle I've restored I've lost money on. Just did it for the love of the project is all.

I'm attracted to these Mustangs just to get away from the BS.

Thanks for giving a damn.
Bert
Old 04-02-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Cooper View Post
Thanks Andy.
and yeah, I totally agree. The flippers and dealers have about wrecked everything about the old car hobby.

Regardless of vehicle choice, every forum is filled with dealers stating, "no doubt these will continue to increase in value". It's like listening to real estate agents.

It's funny, because every vehicle I've restored I've lost money on. Just did it for the love of the project is all.

Bert
Thank You!
and Welcome to the
best of the best!
In SSP Mustang knowledge
and assistance.
Their are other sites, But for
honesty and Accuracy it's
Dot NET and NO Regret!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Cooper View Post
Thanks Andy.

Bert
Bert back in the late 80's I drove past a car lot in Ohio and the place had a row of black and tan 4 eyed FHP mustangs sitting in the front row. All of them had under 100k miles, were in really decent condition with gator-backs, original steelies with center caps and were priced 4500 to 5500 apiece. original paint cars with the standard dents and dings that cops put in cars during patrol use. They were all gone in about two weeks and I was sick that I had not bought one. That is where it started with me. Over the past 27 years or so I have hung out and collected a few cars, and have sold a few cars to "tweak" my collection etc. I have always got more enjoyment out of working on the cars and have developed a few close friendships along the way. My closest friends in the world of SSP cars are those that are in it for enjoyment, not profit. Around 2002 the interest in these cars really took off and with it came some of what you refer to as BS. Flippers, gougers, "know it all morons" and others whose only interest was to go to a show and annoy people with their "lights and sirens shows". Most of those people have moved on to another venue, or at least stopped being a major embarrassment to all of us. Every now and then they pop up with an arrogant comment but are generally ignored. As you wander around the WWW you will find other sites but you will not find ANY other site that is as active and/or focused on the history of SSP Mustangs.

As for car values......I have watched them go up.....then back down..... In 2008 when the economy tanked, so did prices on SSP cars. Cars I bought for 5000.00 10 years ago are still worth about the same but I really don't care because I didn't buy them as a short term investment with the hopes to flip one for silly money. If you are patient you will be able to find the car you want with the options/colors/agency you are looking for. Just be patient as these cars are still available.

What others have said about parts is especially true. Some parts are getting VERY expensive (NOS quarter windows). The SSP gauge clusters, 85-86 wheels and caps are another item that is hard to find. Seat cloth is still readily available as is most everything else for a notchback mustang. Every year companies start remanufacturing different parts as well as these cars get older. The gator-back tires are a perfect example of this. Yes they are expensive but if you are in it for the enjoyment, not a profit, what does it matter? I totally agree about NOT making money on a resto. Even if you got one of these cars for free the cost of a complete restoration would be more than the current value of 99% of these cars.

Anyone here will be willing to help you with information and advice so feel free to reach out if needed. We have weeded out 99.999% of the idiots from this site so the "BS" is pretty much non-existent here. Enjoy.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-06-2016, 12:15 PM

I do it for the fun. I'm in my 9th year and still have my 4th and 5th car and not planning on selling anytime soon.
82 CHP Unit#870366
86 TX DPS M6-380