Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Default At the risk of being shunned...

...I took my SSP to the dragstrip last night!

As background, I should state that the entire reason I started looking for a 5.0L Fox Mustang was becasue I wanted another 5spd car to race at the track. I missed banging gears and excercising my left leg after selling my 2006 Mustang. Hearing my complaints, a friend suggested that I look for a 5.0L/5spd Fox to race with. Two weeks later, my older son's gym teacher approached me and said he was looking to sell his CHP Mustang that had been sitting in his garage for a long time. A deal was struck. Although the initial intent was to make it a streetable weekend racer, the SSP history changed my direction a bit, and since then I've been working on makin' my CHP a fun all-around car. The car has been back on the street for about 3 months now, and I continue to work on it. But I hadn't raced it yet.

So last night the stars aligned so that I was free on a Wednesday with nice weather. Jack (13yo) and Ray (12yo) served as my pit crew, and we drove about 35 minutes to Cecil County Dragway (in Rising Sun, MD) for their Test & Tune. Paid at the gate, and went straight to the staging lane for tech. The place was pretty crowded, although I've seen it worse. Ray is a foster child that came to us over the summer, so this was his first visit to a dragstrip. The sights and sounds had him jumping around every time he saw a cool car. While Jack and Ray walked around, I stayed fairly close to my car after "passing tech" (CCD is fairly loose in how hard they inspect the cars) in case I needed to move my car towards the line. I talked with quite a few people in the staging lanes, despite what my parents taught me about talking to strangers!

As I said the place was crowded, and people kept breaking down and scattering parts/fluids on the track. Finally, I was able to stage for my first (AND ONLY!) pass. Driving on 255 BFG street radials, I just did a quick spin after driving around the water box. Pulled up alone to the tree (officials were cleaning up parts from the other lane), and staged by lighting the first beam and stopping just as I tripped the second beam. Watched the ambers drop, revved up to 1800, and slowly eased the clutch out. Ahhh, the sound and feel of a 5.0L was so awesome! Sorry to say that my scanner won't pick up my slip, but I'll give you the details:
  • 60' . . . . . . . 2.403
  • 1/8 . . . . . .10.048 @ 70.64mph
  • 1/4 . . . . . .15.489 @ 91.21mph

No surprise or disappointment here. I babied the car off the line to avoid wheelspin. There's an easy 4/10ths wasted at the line. I also granny shifted at 5K RPM's, and held on to 3rd gear through the traps. Yup, the car is still running those highway gears (3.27:1 ratio). Also, as near as I can tell the motor has never been rebuilt after over 160K miles. And it needs a tune-up. And I was running full street weight (with spare tire and tools). And I hadn't dropped my rear tire pressure. And I had 3/4's of a tank of gas. [I know - EXCUSES EXCUSES! :P ] Given the numbers, a driver mod (ie getting more than one in for more experience), and track conditions, I know the car has 14's in it without throwing any new parts into the mix. All in all I am so happy with how the car ran. I just wanted to see what the car would do, and it was so much fun banging gears too.

Reflecting back on the night, there were TONS of Fox Mustangs there. But the lady in the timing shack held up the cars behind me to ask about my CHP Mustang. She even yelled over to her helper to come out of the shack and look at the car. I was happy to give them details - hope the racers behind me didn't mind waiting a few extra moments for their slips.

I guess my petition into the UASSP will be black-balled now, huh?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post

As background, I should state that the entire reason I started looking for a 5.0L Fox Mustang was becasue I wanted another 5spd car to race at the track. I missed banging gears and excercising my left leg after selling my 2006 Mustang. Hearing my complaints, a friend suggested that I look for a 5.0L/5spd Fox to race with. Two weeks later, my older son's gym teacher approached me and said he was looking to sell his CHP Mustang that had been sitting in his garage for a long time. A deal was struck. Although the initial intent was to make it a streetable weekend racer, the SSP history changed my direction a bit, and since then I've been working on makin' my CHP a fun all-around car. The car has been back on the street for about 3 months now, and I continue to work on it. But I hadn't raced it yet.

So last night the stars aligned so that I was free on a Wednesday with nice weather. Jack (13yo) and Ray (12yo) served as my pit crew, and we drove about 35 minutes to Cecil County Dragway (in Rising Sun, MD) for their Test & Tune. Paid at the gate, and went straight to the staging lane for tech. The place was pretty crowded, although I've seen it worse. We adopted Ray over the summer, so this was his first visit to a dragstrip. The sights and sounds had him jumping around every time he saw a cool car. While Jack and Ray walked around, I stayed fairly close to my car after "passing tech" (CCD is fairly loose in how hard they inspect the cars) in case I needed to move my car towards the line. I talked with quite a few people in the staging lanes, despite what my parents taught me about talking to strangers!

As I said the place was crowded, and people kept breaking down and scattering parts/fluids on the track. Finally, I was able to stage for my first (AND ONLY!) pass. Driving on 255 BFG street radials, I just did a quick spin after driving around the water box. Pulled up alone to the tree (officials were cleaning up parts from the other lane), and staged by lighting the first beam and stopping just as I tripped the second beam. Watched the ambers drop, revved up to 1800, and slowly eased the clutch out. Ahhh, the sound and feel of a 5.0L was so awesome! Sorry to say that my scanner won't pick up my slip, but I'll give you the details:

No surprise or disappointment here. I babied the car off the line to avoid wheelspin. There's an easy 4/10ths wasted at the line. I also granny shifted at 5K RPM's, and held on to 3rd gear through the traps. Yup, the car is still running those highway gears. Also, as near as I can tell the motor has never been rebuilt after over 160K miles. And it needs a tune-up. And I was running full street weight (with spare tire and tools). And I hadn't dropped my rear tire pressure. And I had 3/4's of a tank of gas. [I know - EXCUSES EXCUSES! :P ] Given the numbers, a driver mod (ie getting more than one in for more experience), and track conditions, I know the car has 14's in it without throwing any new parts into the mix. All in all I am so happy with how the car ran. I just wanted to see what the car would do, and it was so much fun banging gears too.

Reflecting back on the night, there were TONS of Fox Mustangs there. But the lady in the timing shack held up the cars behind me to ask about my CHP Mustang. She even yelled over to her helper to come out of the shack and look at the car. I was happy to give them details - hope the racers behind me didn't mind waiting a few extra moments for their slips.

OOOOOOOHHHHHH My gosh Bill!! Thats right, the Black Ball is rolling your way! lol lol lol ......I am happy to see your car is getting a little workout. The CHP ran your car that way every day of its in service life. Maybe in other states the ssps were run easy but in Ca these cars get run very very hard no babying the cars here. FYI my 1985 ran 15.02 in the quarter with the 302 engine and world iron heads on it at Sears Point raceway. So if 8395 runs 15.48 thats really good! Its nice to see you restored your car and you are having fun with it as well. As you well know my car CHP# 8336 will soon be 100% CHP correct in service look and CHP equipment. BUT it has the 351 engine and Griggs suspension. I will be autocrossing my car from time to time as well as showing it at Ford/Police events. I need the 140 spedometer lol lol lol .....Good luck getting your car in the 14teens range next trip to the track and as always .........HAVE FUN WITH YOUR CAR!!! Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM
5150 Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

So last night the stars aligned so that I was free on a Wednesday with nice weather. Jack (13yo) and Ray (12yo) served as my pit crew, and we drove about 35 minutes to Cecil County Dragway (in Rising Sun, MD) for their Test & Tune. Paid at the gate, and went straight to the staging lane for tech. The place was pretty crowded, although I've seen it worse. We adopted Ray over the summer, so this was his first visit to a dragstrip. The sights and sounds had him jumping around every time he saw a cool car. While Jack and Ray walked around, I stayed fairly close to my car after "passing tech" (CCD is fairly loose in how hard they inspect the cars) in case I needed to move my car towards the line. I talked with quite a few people in the staging lanes, despite what my parents taught me about talking to strangers!

No surprise or disappointment here. I babied the car off the line to avoid wheelspin. There's an easy 4/10ths wasted at the line. I also granny shifted at 5K RPM's, and held on to 3rd gear through the traps. Yup, the car is still running those highway gears. Also, as near as I can tell the motor has never been rebuilt after over 160K miles. And it needs a tune-up. And I was running full street weight (with spare tire and tools). And I hadn't dropped my rear tire pressure. And I had 3/4's of a tank of gas. [I know - EXCUSES EXCUSES! :P ] Given the numbers, a driver mod (ie getting more than one in for more experience), and track conditions, I know the car has 14's in it without throwing any new parts into the mix. All in all I am so happy with how the car ran. I just wanted to see what the car would do, and it was so much fun banging gears too.

Thumbs Up!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM

That is good to hear that there will be no beheading or other wise maiming of people who actuall race their SSP's. I am breaking in a recently reworked motor that is begging to be run. In fact the best I can tell from previous owners is that my SSP was actually raced hard for a while. That would explain the 4:10 gears and the big cam. I will be heartbroken if the car does break something, but I just have to know how it runs. Besides, my son is putting the smack down bad mouth on the SSP, saying that it will not come close to beating his 2001 GT. So for one night and one night only the FHP will be on duty at the strip.

1993 Florida Highway Patrol #719
1990 Kentucky State Police #542
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM
5150 Member

Thumbs up

Well there was a reason why CHP went to these cars and I dont think it was intimidation. Having a car restored and using it..............Thumbs Up!! Its nice to take the car out and remind people these cars had the look and could back it up. Having several projects in the past, it was hard to put blood sweat and tears into something and then leave it in the garage. While you can be proud of what you have, you can take it out and play once in a while.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 PM

Cecil County Dragway. That brings back some memories. When I was in training at Aberdeen Proving Grounds we used to go there every chance we got. Had alot of fun. Doug
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
As you well know my car CHP# 8336 will soon be 100% CHP correct in service look and CHP equipment. BUT it has the 351 engine and Griggs suspension.

Rich
Rich, what hood did you end up going with to cover the taller 351 motor? Your car will look great - just in time for Halloween!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 PM
It is what it is.

Congrats on taking it to the track and having fun. I agree sitting in the garage or in a parking lot for people to stare at can get old. I would guess the FHP is in the same ball park as you, but I have not took it to the track. (Probably won't, that is what my '94 is for.) Now the WSP car I had I bet it would have ran low 14's with ease and 13's with some drag radials.

1990 NMSP Unit 130 SOLD
1989 WSP SOLD
1988 FHP SOLD
1991 FHP SOLD
1993 TX DPS
Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Thumbs up

Quote:
Rich, what hood did you end up going with to cover the taller 351 motor? Your car will look great - just in time for Halloween!
Bill,The hood is still the same mach 1 by cervinis.The hood is going to stay on the car for the time being. My funds are just about .10 at this time lol lol ....on a positive note......The car looks awsome in my opinion. I stated I would post pics of the progress and have taken pics but with my dads passing in the past few weeks I have not had any time to post them. I am going to pick up the car today and I will post pics as soon as I can. I am off to the paint shop now so I will talk to ya soon............ Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Admin

First off...great stories, and sorry to hear about your Dad, Rich.

I don't think there will be any "shunning", but I'll offer a perspective shared by many in this hobby.

These cars were beat to shit and back by many of the officers who drove them. To most of them, they were a tool to be used on the job, just like any other. Many cops, just like regular people, aren't "car guys". Some cars were taken care of better than others, but IMHO, it's a miracle that as many survived their service lives as have. I drove one in-service, and I saw some of this first hand.

That said, many more were ruined, wrecked, or crushed after being sold to the public when they came out of service.

So, if someone here wants to take a chance on the track with their SSP, to each their own. Gregg H. did that once and I'm sure still regrets what happened to his FHP car.

This website is about preservation....which everyone in this thread is doing. Deciding what level of restoration to take a car to is another story, but I'm happy that we can all share our opinions on it here without it being negative.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363