Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Default 1985 CHP #E408428

Well, it's official: I am an SSP hoarder. Brought home 1985 CHP #8428 last weekend. This will be my first 4 eyed SSP.

Pics are at:
http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...428/?start=all

So the story goes...the car was purchased from the CHP on 3/16/88. Original plate was E408248. The person that purchased the car had a stack of paperwork about 4 inches thick with every receipt from day 1 (will get that next week). Jimmy at the Fox Shoppe in Portland, OR acquired the car from a guy that did concrete work. The concrete guy got it in trade from the person that bought it from MTM in Torrance. Suppossedly, the guy that bought it from the CHP was the officer that drove it and has in-service pics in the stash of documents that I will get next week.

The car needs work, but it all there. I am currently working with several members on this site to acquire gear and nicer parts (thank you all in advance). The car will be headed back down to The Fox Shoppe once I have the $$ saved up for the repair and paint. Jimmy does AMAZING paint and restoration body work out of his shop - and can't wait to take it back down.
I find it interesting on how many 85 CHPs have surfaced - and are subsequently being restored. Pretty cool.

Love the non-EFI feel of the car so far. It has a recent motor, trans and rear - all in the last 1,500 miles. It was smacked in the front at some point - and will need to be worked over, but the sheet metal still hangs well.

A few pictures to get us going:

Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Congratulations...looks like a fun one! And yes that's quite a collection you have going there.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Congrats Ryan!!!
She looks tough !!! I think it's time I ask!?!
Where do you put all these fine rides?

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 PM

I have a 2 car garage that can squeeze in 3 SSPs. Then I have a cousin across the street who usually houses 1-2 for me. And then 2 rented parking spaces (Where they store RVs).

One day...perhaps I can have a massive garage built like Jim and store all these suckers in a nice covered space. (One can dream!)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:37 PM
...Gathering Parts

Absolutely Ryan! Excellent catch! That is some luck being able to find cars like that. Good luck on the restoration! Really like that car!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
I have a 2 car garage that can squeeze in 3 SSPs. Then I have a cousin across the street who usually houses 1-2 for me. And then 2 rented parking spaces (Where they store RVs).

One day...perhaps I can have a massive garage built like Jim and store all these suckers in a nice covered space. (One can dream!)
1 of the things at the top of our list with this new job is ...FINALLY ?? a
30x40 building ..Ohhhhhh what a dream !!!!!
#2 is cabinets for MAMMMMMAS kitchen. she has to remain cool/happy!

Here's an option... We can all rent from Jim and once a month we fly in and tackle 1 ssp at a time till we knock them all out! Wacha think guys??

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
East Precinct until Aug 2000.
1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM
...Gathering Parts

I would love my own place too like that! Jim does have a very nice place!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 PM

Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
Well, it's official: I am an SSP hoarder. Brought home 1985 CHP #8428 last weekend. This will be my first 4 eyed SSP.

Pics are at:
http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/...428/?start=all

So the story goes...the car was purchased from the CHP on 3/16/88. Original plate was E408248. The person that purchased the car had a stack of paperwork about 4 inches thick with every receipt from day 1 (will get that next week). Jimmy at the Fox Shoppe in Portland, OR acquired the car from a guy that did concrete work. The concrete guy got it in trade from the person that bought it from MTM in Torrance. Suppossedly, the guy that bought it from the CHP was the officer that drove it and has in-service pics in the stash of documents that I will get next week.

The car needs work, but it all there. I am currently working with several members on this site to acquire gear and nicer parts (thank you all in advance). The car will be headed back down to The Fox Shoppe once I have the $$ saved up for the repair and paint. Jimmy does AMAZING paint and restoration body work out of his shop - and can't wait to take it back down.
I find it interesting on how many 85 CHPs have surfaced - and are subsequently being restored. Pretty cool.

Love the non-EFI feel of the car so far. It has a recent motor, trans and rear - all in the last 1,500 miles. It was smacked in the front at some point - and will need to be worked over, but the sheet metal still hangs well.

A few pictures to get us going:

Awsome Ryan........ Great find ! Anyone interested in restoring a 85 CHP can look at over 200 detailed pics on my Fotki Photo site. Congrats on your awsome find! Rich
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 AM

Andy - you crack me up!

I have seen quite a few of these painted in a similar grey/silver. I wonder if it was a staple for the CHP when they went to auction?

I plan on eventually painting it back to black and white. The Fox Shoppe in Oregon will do the work for me - just need the $$ to get it done. They do superb work - and Jimmy knows this car in and out and has a lot of the parts to bring it back (i.e. mint dash our of a wrecked 85 GT with 30K on the clock, engine harness, and may have a good LX nose).

Looks like one of the former owners cut out another hole and figured....hey...let's install these huge fog lights.

I'm also on the hunt for all the CHP gear - which will take a while, but that's half the fun of putting them back together.