Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:01 AM

Default White 1990 NCSHP SSP?

I recently picked up a 1990 NCSHP SSP, but I find it odd that it is a white car, and can't find any place where there was any type of equipment on the car, the DSO is 22 with a paint code of YO, also red interior with an auto. I was wondering if YO was common or not, since I can't seem to find any information on them. Only color I've seen them in is Black.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Admin

I've heard of them in white....but you're correct...the marked units were black. ORG has a white one listed in the 145XXX VIN range...

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Mine is 163471. I wasn't sure how odd it was for it to be that color. Definitely not too much info on the NCSHP ones, at least not that I could find.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Admin

MOStang (Mike) has done a bunch of research on the NC cars and might be able to help you out.

Did you get documentation with the car confirming that it came from NCHP?

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 AM

Sadly, I don't have any documentation. Only reason I'm almost positive its a NCSHP car is because its 4 digits off from another NCSHP car on the VIN registery on another site.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 AM

From the door tag is white the original color, or was the car repainted from some other original color to a white color? Any marked NCSHP Mustangs were repainted a variety of solid colors after coming out of service and before being auctioned off. A

lso do you have any of labels with #'s on the located on the far left side of the driver side console adjacent to where the driver door attaches to the car. I don't have a better photo handy at the moment, but the link below is what I 'm referring to...one of the labels is cut off at the top of the picture.

http://public.fotki.com/MOstang/must...nerphot-9.html

Post up some pictures of your car when you get a chance.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 11-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Paint code "YO" translates to "Oxford White Solid". Based on what I know and have looked up in the past, the 1990-1993 Mustang paint codes were 2-letter paint codes, while previous years were alpha-numeric.

If that is the paint code you see on the driver's door VC label and floor pans under the carpet are "white" as well, it's no doubt the car was built as "white" from the factory. Not many places who do an exterior repaint will go through the trouble of painting the interior (or trunk), so that's a quick way of determining a vehicle's paint color.

IIRC, the standard Mustang BUC tag should also have the paint code stamped into it as well (along w/ many other codes) - this will usually be at the upper right, 2nd line of coding.

~~~~

The DSO you had listed correlates back to "Charlotte".

~~~~

Have you found any extra wiring anywhere in the engine bay, trunk, under carpet along rockers or under the dash? Also, sometimes 2nd generation owners (after the vehicle was auctioned) have been known to replace the dash & center console w/ replacement parts that no longer have screw or access holes as they did when the vehicle was in service, sometimes it is hard to determine if those parts were original to the car or not.

Have you pulled the carpet and/or rear bottom seat cushion or rear 1/4 plastics yet to see if you can find a build sheet? Sometimes the build sheet can be found in those locations only IF it were left behind at the factory and only IF the car's interior has never been tampered with after the Dept. auction. If you could find a build sheet, some of the SSP build sheets had good info on them as to how the car was ordered and what it came with when built.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP
Old 11-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Heres a few pictures I just took.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:54 AM

Oh, and while taking those, I did find two holes on the drivers side quarter panel, in the trunk lip where they had the L bracket for one antenna. Other than that, I haven't been able to find anything, and the interior doesn't look like its been messed with. The people that owned it before me weren't exactly the best mechanics/body men.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:50 PM

That SSP was converted to a carb set up - correct? The engine bay is white. The "red" seen on the front bumper cover is because it was replaced at some point in time with a red cover and spray bombed white by whomever.
1994 Cobra Coupe SVT #13
2018 EB Fastback w/PP