Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs The aero cars.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Default 1989 NHP SSP

I starting this thread because my intro was getting longer and longer in the "New Member/ Vistors" area and I plan on keeping everyone involved and updated on the resto of my car. So here is a little history of my car and how I acquired it. So here goes....

My car was found by Mike (NHPcars.com) back in the early part of June of this year. He told me about the car and sent some pics. I knew when I saw it in the pics this is the condition of vehicle I wanted. As Mike put it this car, "was lost in time (auction fresh) and in perfect shape for a restoration". When I went to look at the car it was Thursday 7/21/11. That is also the day bought it.

Nobody had done any types of mods to it. The body is straight. No rust seen. Buck tags are in place. It has the original blue rims and full size spare with the Goodyear Eagle M/S. The original exhaust was replaced with what is on there now because the OEM exhaust was falling off. This is exactly what I was looking for. I am looking forward to many years with this car.

I was told by the family that they owned the car for the last 10 years. The wife would drive it to work, they'd all get in it and drive down to Mexico where they have a family vacation home, and the hubby would drive it to Reno occasionally. They parked it about a year ago because their 16 year old son was at driving age and they didn't want him to get any ideas. From what it sounds like the family I bought it from were the second owners, the first owner being a guy that bought it from the auction. The family picked it up in Reno.

I did a little work on the rear bumper with a mild paint remover to try and decipher the unit number. I think it is Unit 262. Other than that all I have done so far is vacuum it(which helped alot ), Simple Green the engine bay(also helped a lot), and wash the outside and windows. I have it parked at my buddies auto shop right now and I am putting together a laundry list of things I want to do. The paint you see in the pics is the faded government paint job it received prior to auction. In some of my other pics you can see where this paint is wearing and chipping off to reveal the medium color blue it will wear again(someday).

Here are some more pics.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Here is an example of Fords 1989 Medium Shadow Blue Metallic which is the color code of my car.

Paint flaking and chipping off.

160MPH Speedometer

Whats left of the 2 stripes in the door jambs.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Very cool
I wonder how many were ordered in that blue.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 10-21-2011, 01:17 AM

I have been told NHP ordered 9 SSP's in 1989. I assume those 9 were this color. I've seen a 1988 it was dark blue under the auction paint job and I've seen a 1990 fully restored in dark blue.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 AM

That's going to look great when you are finished. Do you know of any other 89's that have surfaced yet?

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
That's going to look great when you are finished. Do you know of any other 89's that have surfaced yet?
I don't know of any other 89's for Nevada yet. I am sooooo looking forward to the day she is finished. Till then I will also enjoy every minute of her resto.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:45 PM

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because some progress is being made. It has been a long time. My car has been resting comfortably in my garage and covered. On Wednesday I took her in to to have the clutch replaced and the tranny rebuilt(if needed). I was called to today with good news. Other than a header stud having to be fixed she's pretty much done and ready to go. The shop did open up the tranny, they said everything was looking good and no need for anything to be corrected. The owner of the shop was surprised and he said the car didn't look like it had been abused like a lot of other Mustangs they get in there. That was great news!! I'll pick her up the beginning of next week. Then on to the next task.

I love my NHP SSP
Old 05-16-2014, 02:03 PM

Default Great great news everyone check this out!!

We are moving forward(no pun intended). Some items of good news(and a couple of bad) I wanted to share with all of you.

First off the new clutch was installed and the car drives really nice now. The gear shop that did the work looked into the tranny and said it looked fine and there was no need to tear it down. Awesome. Unfortunately the speedo still doesn't work. (

Secondly- I took my car to a more general mechanics shop and while up on the lift look at what was found next to the drivers side muffler.

At the second shop they found some things that will need to be addressed rather soon. The exhaust is rotting off from the rear cats back, my shocks have all seen better days(most of the shocks are leaking fluid), the water pump is leaking, I need to do valve cover and an oil pan gasket. Anyone have any input on the oil pan gasket? Is it hard to do? I don't have a lift at home. Also I was told I will need to find a timing chain cover for when the water pump is replaced. Does this sound legit?

I love my NHP SSP
Old 06-20-2014, 03:35 PM

I took my car into the mechanic today. He's going to pull the motor and go through it so it will be mechanically sound. (timing chain, oil pump, gaskets all around, water pump, timing chain cover, freeze plugs, etc, etc...) I want to make the Ripon show in October.

I love my NHP SSP
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM

That's great hope you make the show.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/