Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Yes local agencies used them also. Just not as much.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 PM

would those be included in the actual number of SSP's sent, or would they fall under a different category of car? (non SSP)
Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_C View Post
would those be included in the actual number of SSP's sent, or would they fall under a different category of car? (non SSP)
Sometimes local police would piggyback orders with the larger state police. This not factual but an example Utah order 25 for '85 needed only 20 and the remaining 5 is used for a local agency.

Doug are you thinking that your Utah car was used by a local agency?

Also not everything on .org has been documented and may be subject to change.
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 04-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator20 View Post
Sometimes local police would piggyback orders with the larger state police. This not factual but an example Utah order 25 for '85 needed only 20 and the remaining 5 is used for a local agency.

Doug are you thinking that your Utah car was used by a local agency?
Brian, thank you for your replies I really don't know whether it was or not, but I was just thinking about the allotment of the cars when they were ordered. The area in which I live may have justified the use of one (or more) of these vehicles. The county is quite large, in terms of square miles, and the weather is pretty much suited for this type of vehicle. I'm wondering if maybe our local Sherrif's office might have used one or two. ( I know we have a couple of the new Chargers )
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Admin

Quote:
Brian, thank you for your replies I really don't know whether it was or not, but I was just thinking about the allotment of the cars when they were ordered. The area in which I live may have justified the use of one (or more) of these vehicles. The county is quite large, in terms of square miles, and the weather is pretty much suited for this type of vehicle. I'm wondering if maybe our local Sherrif's office might have used one or two. ( I know we have a couple of the new Chargers )
Doug,

Pretty much any agency could order as many as they wanted. As Brian mentioned, some agencies piggybacked orders or took leftovers from the state orders, but individual agencies could order at will.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-22-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Doug,

Pretty much any agency could order as many as they wanted. As Brian mentioned, some agencies piggybacked orders or took leftovers from the state orders, but individual agencies could order at will.
Hey Mike!

But if a different agency ordered the car, would it still be tagged as an SSP? ( which may or may not change the total # of SSP's sent to Utah, for example )
Old 04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Admin

Quote:
Hey Mike!

But if a different agency ordered the car, would it still be tagged as an SSP? ( which may or may not change the total # of SSP's sent to Utah, for example )
Yep.....any police agency (and some governmental, non LEO ones, for example) that were able to order them would have received the same cars as the state agencies, save for the differences in individual options ordered.

Also...Charles Ricks put those usuage numbers posted on .org together. The "25" means that he contacted the UHP, and they told him that they ordered 25 for their use that year. Some of the numbers posted are spot-on, and others are not so accurate, or are missing altogether. I don't think that it's been updated in awhile, either.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Yep.....any police agency (and some governmental, non LEO ones, for example) that were able to order them would have received the same cars as the state agencies, save for the differences in individual options ordered.

Also...Charles Ricks put those usuage numbers posted on .org together. The "25" means that he contacted the UHP, and they told him that they ordered 25 for their use that year. Some of the numbers posted are spot-on, and others are not so accurate, or are missing altogether. I don't think that it's been updated in awhile, either.
Mike, thank you very much for that info!

Okay, so, now how do I go about identifying where the car may have been used? Could I just call the UHP or my local Sherrifs dept. (maybe a records division) with the vin # ?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Mike, thank you very much for that info!

Okay, so, now how do I go about identifying where the car may have been used? Could I just call the UHP or my local Sherrifs dept. (maybe a records division) with the vin # ?
You are certainly welcome.

As for the usage of your particular car....welcome to the fun! Seriously, though, it can be challenging to figure out when, where, etc a particular car served. Carfax may be of help, contacting the agency and asking is certainly another way to go.

I found out the history of my CO car by contacting the trooper who drove it in-service (after finding his business card under the rear seat). Also, several members recently found out their FHP unit numbers after checking with the DSHMV in FL for traffic crash records (which list the tag numbers..which are the unit numbers, and the trooper driving), after we had a similar discussion here.

There are many ways to start, and with a little luck, and a lot of determination, you have a good chance of finding what you're looking for.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
You are certainly welcome.

As for the usage of your particular car....welcome to the fun! Seriously, though, it can be challenging to figure out when, where, etc a particular car served. Carfax may be of help, contacting the agency and asking is certainly another way to go.

I found out the history of my CO car by contacting the trooper who drove it in-service (after finding his business card under the rear seat). Also, several members recently found out their FHP unit numbers after checking with the DSHMV in FL for traffic crash records (which list the tag numbers..which are the unit numbers, and the trooper driving), after we had a similar discussion here.

There are many ways to start, and with a little luck, and a lot of determination, you have a good chance of finding what you're looking for.
Thank you, sir! I guess I better put my sleuthing skills (haha) to work! I'm pretty excited, I hope I can find the history behind this car.