Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustangs For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustangs For Sale Any and all SSP Mustangs.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:24 PM

In that case, looks like John's CHP may actually be: 409683
Old 07-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Ryan, I think E409683 is a made up number on his car. I distinctly remember reading that he did not know his unit number when the car was restored. Also, the CHP ordered only 155 SSP's in 1985, and as far as I can tell the SSP Mustangs were assigned a sequential block of unit numbers. Now they pulled cars randomly when assigning the numbers, so the VIN's are randomly sorted compared to the Unit Numbers.

Unit #9683 is roughly 1300 away from the known SSP Unit Numbers in 1985, so I don't think that is the right number for his car. I tried to contact him once to suggest that he request the DMV registration records for his car, which should list the original license plate number (and Unit Number), but he never responded back to me.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:28 PM

I created a Fotki album for this SSP -

http://public.fotki.com/28HopUp/85-chp-in-new-orleans/

In one picture, it shows the Unit Number as #E408327, but if you look at the VIN on the same page you will see it is paperwork for a different SSP Mustang. But at least if that car ever turns up we will know the car's Unit Number.

The seller says that you can see the patched hole on the driver's side quarter panel from inside the trunk. Apparently there is also a hole in the trunklid for an antenna (a SMPV feature). The interior A-pillar trim are drilled for spotlights. In one picture the owner's warranty card shows "Calif Highway Patrol" as the owner. Carfax is consistent with it being owned by the CHP, so this car was surely a 1985 CHP Mustang.

In one picture you can see 8306 written on the paperwork, so I am operating on the basis that the car's number was #E408306. Once the Assignment Card is found, then we will know for sure if 8306 matches the VIN for this car, and whether or not it was a SMPV. I hope to track down the Assignment Card this week, and will let everyone know what it says.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:36 AM

OK! I heard from Robert Read this morning. He went through the boxes and found the assignment card for #E408306. He and I confirmed by phone that the VIN listed on the card matches the car in New Orleans. YEA! I had already sent him a prepaid pre-addressed Priority Mail envelope for him to use for another card that he ended up sending directly to Greg, so Robert will use that envelope to mail me the card for #8306.

The next part of the puzzle won't be confiirmed until I see the card. According to Robert, the card says that the vehicle was repainted white by the CHP, but it does not specifically state that the car was used for "Commercial Enf Truck Speed", as was listed on the card for #E408445 (a known SMPV through in-service pictures). Once I have the card for #8306 in-hand, I'll see the wording for the front of the card. I will also be able to determine if the date for the CHP white repaint matches the timeframe for the other '85 SMPV. It could be that the car was repainted white just prior to auction, making it a regular B&W SSP while it was in-service. If the latter situation is what happened, then I am not interested in the car.

So the pieces are coming together - stay tuned...

Old 08-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Can't wait to hear how this one all comes together! Nail biting has already started...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Apparently there is also a hole in the trunklid for an antenna (a SMPV feature).
FYI, it was also field practice to mount CB antennas back there on any unit so equipped. Most were magnetic mounts but some were permanent mounts as well. My car had a mag mount CB in the manner shown below:

1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-01-2011, 02:27 PM

sooooo....this "could" be a black anf white that was taken out of standard patrol duty, painted white for SMPV duty, then sold. I agree the date of the paint job in conjuction of when it came out of service is very interesting. Bill it sounds like you are on the right track to confirm some information.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 08-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Yeah, it would sure be nice to find another SMPV unit. Fingers crossed.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 08-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Default 8/17/2011 Update

I spoke with Robert Read this morning about the Assignment Card for #8306 and he said that he mailed it to me last night, so that should arrive in a few days. Robert couldn't remember the details listed on the card about the white paint. Once I have the card, I will know if it was repainted while in-service (indicating that it was a SMPV), or painted just prior to auction (making it a regular B&W). I will scan the card on both sides and post it up here. If it was just a regular B&W, I will send the card to the seller to include with the paperwork when he sells the car. He has been very pleasant to deal with on the phone, btw.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM

hmm....are you biting your fingernails waiting......

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP