Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Admin

Great news...thanks for your efforts and good luck tracking down your '82.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
One more thing: it has been mentioned somewhere here that the current ex-CHP vehicles are really not worth buying because they are thrashed. That is so true; if you were thinking about a run out Crown Vic, forget it. There is no longer any set mileage for turning in vehicles, now they drive them until they fall apart. I saw about a dozen of them sitting in the sale lot, and they sure looked like it. About the only thing they looked to be useful for is taxicabs in Tijuana.
That is because the CHP crushed all of their parts cars and wrecks, even cars with minor damage, so they now don't have the parts to keep their cars going.
Btw my dad has an 82 CHP mustang #0300, any info you find just shoot me a PM and let me know. Thanks,
Sam.

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 07-24-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I was also able to get the assignment card for NoDrama43's '82, which I will be sending to him next week.

So a huge thank you to Robert Read!

Now this is getting more interesting. I thought I had hit a brick wall but a door opened up.
Steve I want to thank you for taking time out from your day to do this for me. I am very excited to see if their is any "tail hook" information on the card. I was able to confirm 425 as being Sonora CA. I will do some more research after I get the card from you.

If I can ever be of any assistance please contact me. I have a huge favor to return now !!!!! Great stuff !!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 AM

It's called pay it forward Jim
You have done good things for the ssp community
and in return the ssp community has done a good
thing for you.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
That's great news, Steve. That would be so awesome to reunite you with your car. And cudos for finding another '82 assignment card. Yours, Jim's and mine exist...anyone else?? Mike's is out there somewhere.

Best of luck in your search.
I'll work on Mike's next. I also need to learn how to decode the information on those cards. There are various symbols and notations that it is not apparent what they mean.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Steve, I think that it is GREAT that you were able to successfully connect with Robert Read and find the Assignment Card for the SSP that you drove while in-service. Good luck in trying to track the vehicle down. Hopefully, you can use the VIN to run a CarFax and determine where the car is located.

And I would like to thank you for volunteering your time to go to Motor Transport to look for the cards for other SSP owners. It sounds like there are still some hiding there, although most cards from that era are probably lost forever. Still, thanks for doing that!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM

I am glad to help others in this forum when I can. If I find my car I'll probably be needing lots of advice and assistance for restoration. If we all work together we can get some good things done.

Is Carfax the best way to locate a vehicle nationally by VIN? I ran the VIN through the California DMV smog records with nothing back, so wither the car was put into storage and non-oped and never smogged in California, or perhaps went right to an out of State buyer.

What would you guys recommend for a National search by VIN?
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Default 870255's VIN Number

So my assigned '82, the one I am looking for, has a VIN number of:

1FABP10FXCF213124

At sale time, it was painted blue and had a vinyl top added.

There it is! If anyone knows where this vehicle is, you'll have a friend for life here in California if you let me know.

Another interesting factoid about this vehicle: It went from Sacramento to Central Division HQ, where it was for 2 months before being assigned to Los Banos area in January 1983. That's when it was assigned to me and I drove it until August of 1984, which is when it was sent back to Motor Transport for sale (and I was assigned an '84 Mustang). So except for a brief stop at Central HQ, I drove that vehicle for its entire time in the field and was the only one who drove it regularly for road patrol.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Update

I ran the VIN through the California smog check database and it came up. It was smogged in February, 2001 in Sonora, CA. It passed. So I know at least at that time it still existed and was in California.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Got the scans of my assignment card 2 day. Good stuff. I will post it up tonight when I get home.

Thanks again steve.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP