Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Admin

Default Copcar.com posting about the hobby....

I'm usually not one to do a bunch of cross-posting, but I'm home with the flu today and I read a thread on Copcar this morning that I felt needed to be shared.

The thread, for those who are members there, is here:

http://www.copcar.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16834

For those that aren't, a guy with a restored CHP car was apparently turned away from a Hemmings magazine car show this past weekend. The guy's car was previously featured in the magazine, and he both pre-registered and was invited to the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM from Copcar.com
Hypocritical Hemming's turns away the '72 Polara CHP car...

by Mean Mr. Mopar » Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 pm

This weekend, after pre-registering in advance, and after having attended their events for years, Hemming's Musclepalooza booted Mark Mroz and his car at the gate...after having featured his car and used him and his car on numerous occasions for publicity and exposure. This was the ultimate kick in the groin for a guy who is a really stand-up character, with a beautiful car. Keep in mind that they allowed tons of cars in from the fifties, and tons of cars that were nowhere close to "muscle cars" by any standards. I, for one, support Mark in his efforts to boycott Hemming's altogether until a public, printed apology is made. I believe there are a couple of others here that have spoken up as well and will (hopefully) voice their opinions to Hemming's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxurYy6JXjs

1970 AMC Rebel Machine 4-speed, 61,000 actual miles, all-numbers matching.
Per usual, there was more to the story. He got upset, as I'm sure we all would, when he wasn't allowed in. He then, however, proceeded to yell and curse and recklessly left the the parking lot with his tires squealing (per his own admission, as well as comments that were posted by others at the Youtube video above, which has now been made private).

Member "Dogbob" then posted this, which is what I wanted to share. I don't think I've seen it put any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbob from Copcar.com

Re: Hypocritical Hemming's turns away the '72 Polara CHP car...

by Dogbob » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 pm

I have not posted on copcar in a long time, but I will chime in on this thread. First of all, as a civilian who has never been a police officer, I feel a very great responsibility toward what I do with the three police cars I own. I come from a family of many fine men who have served, three of them had very distinquished careers, one receiving a medal from the Governor for his bravery in single handedly apprehending an armed robber at night in an alley. One of my fathers close friends was Officer Wallace Melson, who was our town's only LODD. So, every time I do anything with these cars, I ask myself "would my family be embarassed or feel nervous about what I am doing, or would they feel proud that I am trying to honor law enforcement?" Or I think, "what will Chief McLaughlin think about this when he hears I took the car with the insignia of his Department on it to this event??"

Next, I stopped entering shows for judging a long time ago. I have a sign I put in the window "PRESENTED IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST AS AN EDUCATIONAL DISPLAY ONLY, DO NOT JUDGE"

I do not attend the Gumboro Tractor Pull and Mud Derby, or the Rod and Custom Show at Harrington Fair, or anything like that. If the event is pro-law enforcement, supports law enforcement, or is some kind of event depicting ACCURATE historical representations, that is what I go for. Somehow, over the recent years, our group has gravitated more and more toward becoming a "rolling honor guard on wheels" and as that has happened, we've all become more and more conscious of not having "Hooter's Girls" hanging on the cars and stuff like that. Because of "tweaking up" the level of kinds of events we attend, we get more and more invitations from police entities, such as being the guests of Chief Lanier in Washington DC. for the 4th year in a row, this year the Metro Police blocked off a spot for us to be parked all day and share our cars with all the vistors to Metro HQ on the day of the Emerald Society Memorial March. (Yes, a man who formerly had chickens in his car showed up and parked on the edge down the street from us, but he was not, is not, and never has been a member of DAPCA.) While I like other kinds of antique car venues, I take my 1955 Dodge to those, and keep the police cars for more solemn and respectable duty. The old addage, "Show me your friends -- I'll tell you what kind of a man you are" well, if you take your police car to "flaming drunken hotrod nights" in Hooterville, you probably won't get an invitation from the Superintendent of State Police to participate in the annual Memorial in the State Capitol. Time and place for everything.
The honor and priviledge of being able to own and display an authentic historic police car must be treated with awe and respect, and handled with very great care. Sorry if I sound like a Priest giving a homily, but I have very strong feelings about this. Officer Melson's son, Jack, and I went to high school together. We both served in the Fire Service together, and remain friends to this day. I'd hate to have to look him in the eye and say, "Jack, I can't do the displays with the car anymore because I squealed wheels and drove crazy, and the PD yanked their endorsement when they found out I was abusing the priviledge." So it is, genuinely, a solemn responsibility.
Finally, one last post from 9c1driver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9c1driver from Copcar.com

Re: Hypocritical Hemming's turns away the '72 Polara CHP car...

by 9c1 driver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:13 am

Bob, as usual, you are always right. I think some people miss the point of these cars, especially the public, but people here too. I spent 5 hrs on the road after night shift to have my car photographed "for a magazine cover" is what I was told in De.. After arrival, I found out they want the "Hooters Girls" to stand next to my car for the photos. I informed them that is not why I was there and it was inappropriate to do this with a legitimate car that reflected the image of the MSP. An event I attended earlier this year was abused because some people run their sirens and play with their equipment when it's uncalled for, even after being told by the people in charge to be discretionary in the use of the equipment. Do you really think people think "oh that's neat" when you scare the crap out of them being obnoxious with your toys ? Get a life. You look like the fool you are. At one of the last HG meetings, I observed what I was led to believe was a legit NYSP suv with emergency equipment in it. I later found out, it was Mr Mrozs personal vehicle. I don't attend regular local car shows, because the jerkwads are always doing burnouts, even more so where a police vehicle is present.

I know this just reinforces points we've talked about here before, but it's nice to see that others in the hobby feel the same way that alot of us here do and aren't afraid to say it.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Goodwill Ambassador

Smile

Sounds like the CHP car guy and Hemming's were BOTH wrong. But the CHP car guy had a huge opportunity to capitalize on the situation and do the right thing. One doesn't always have to react immediately - bide some time, back-off and evaluate the situation and strike back accordingly and professionally (if the situation even calls for it).
Hate this has happened. But what do you do besides press-on and stay the course of the crusade for this fine hobby?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by policemustang View Post
Sounds like the CHP car guy and Hemming's were BOTH wrong. But the CHP car guy had a huge opportunity to capitalize on the situation and do the right thing. One doesn't always have to react immediately - bide some time, back-off and evaluate the situation and strike back accordingly and professionally (if the situation even calls for it).
Hate this has happened. But what do you do besides press-on and stay the course of the crusade for this fine hobby?
Very true. Keyword: "professionally".

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 06-02-2010, 07:12 PM

Unfortunate this occurred but it just reinforces the philosophy we adhere to on this site. Leave the lights and sirens off, check your attitude at the door, and be respectfull of local laws and ordinances when at the car shows. The fake pursuits, burnouts, and some of the printed BS we see is just more negative publicity for all owners of emergency vehicles. Thanks for sharing the thread Mike.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
UASSP

New folks to the hobby, make sure you read and understand this important information.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM

Mike - This is a good read and some good advice and learnings...thanks for posting it up.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOstang View Post
Mike - This is a good read and some good advice and learnings...thanks for posting it up.
No prob.

For the record, I have nothing against Hooters girls (taken at a charity golf tourney last week).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMan2010sm.jpg (24.5 KB, 44 views)

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 06-03-2010, 10:43 PM

hmmmm.......I have to agree with ya there....

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP