Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Welcome!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Welcome! New Member/Visitor area. Feel free to post up any questions you have about the site or the forums.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Default Hello

Hello everyone! been a fan of foureyed fox bodies for the last 3 months. im going to buy the first 85 chp mustang that rolled off the line tomorrow. will be posting pics soon. all i can say now is that its been turned into a drag car.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 AM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitquit View Post
Hello everyone! been a fan of foureyed fox bodies for the last 3 months. im going to buy the first 85 chp mustang that rolled off the line tomorrow. will be posting pics soon. all i can say now is that its been turned into a drag car.
I can help you with that restoration if needed....
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
im a newb, where can i get the spotlights? and is it legal to restore the car with full chp decals in CA?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:59 AM

Welcome to the forum! It's funny to me how more '85 CHP Mustangs keep turning up. Please post pictures of the car when you get the chance. I am curious to know the last 6 numbers of the VIN. I remember seeing pictures of a red '85 CHP car that had been turned into a track star.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitquit View Post
im a newb, where can i get the spotlights? and is it legal to restore the car with full chp decals in CA?
We can point you in the right direction on finding parts. There is no law preventing you from owning a fully restored B&W in California, but you cannot drive the car that way. The laws in California prevent you from driving a car painted with a white roof/doors and black body. But there are plenty of restored police cars out there that are basically show vehicles. If you want to drive your car, then you may want to consider an alternative paint scheme and go with either all-black, all-white, or a white roof and black body. Regardless, all emergency lights and decals must be covered if you are operating the car on the street.

Good luck on your purchase, and please let us know how you make out.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:53 AM

Welcome,
Good luck on the restore !
Keep us posted and lots of pictures !
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
Why yes....yes you can.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Welcome to the forum! It's funny to me how more '85 CHP Mustangs keep turning up. Please post pictures of the car when you get the chance. I am curious to know the last 6 numbers of the VIN. I remember seeing pictures of a red '85 CHP car that had been turned into a track star.

okay i bought it ( i overpaid i think, but the drag car parts may be worth it). repainted and has a gt front clip, 331 chp stroker (lol).

according to your the ssp vin registration it is the first 85 chp mustang off the line. will post more pics soon

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info234786.htm

gonna be out trying to drive this thing and give my neighbors an earful. no power steering and a ratchet shifter for a pa c4 transmission.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Awesome! That is not the car I thought it might be. Your SSP is the 1st car in the batch of 154 VINs ordered under that DSO in 1985. There was a pilot car ordered ahead of that batch, which the CHP used to check for equipment fitment when the new model-year was introduced. As of yet, that single 1985 SSP is a mystery.

Thanks for posting up the pictures. I updated you car's page already. Have fun, and keep up posted on your progress. Feel free to read up in our technical sections, and ask all the questions you want.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Welcome!
Thing about the CHP (hate to burst your bubble) is that they took cars at random. They didn't do
it by plate # either. Unless you have documentation that it was the first off the line, you really can't tell.
What is the unit #?

You can also see by looking through the existing cars, you can see that highher unit numbered cars can be ahead of cars with unit numbers closer to the beginning of the 8300 range.
I don't believe we know the start and end of the unit/plate #s, but they range in the 8300 and early 8400 range.

It is neat though that you have one of the first VIN cars

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 09-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Kid View Post
Welcome!
Thing about the CHP (hate to burst your bubble) is that they took cars at random. They didn't do
it by plate # either. Unless you have documentation that it was the first off the line, you really can't tell.
What is the unit #?

You can also see by looking through the existing cars, you can see that highher unit numbered cars can be ahead of cars with unit numbers closer to the beginning of the 8300 range.
I don't believe we know the start and end of the unit/plate #s, but they range in the 8300 and early 8400 range.

It is neat though that you have one of the first VIN cars

i misunderstood, i guess its the first of a batch of consecutive numbers.