Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Restoration-related Equipment Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Restoration-related Equipment Tech Any questions or information about any period-correct resto equipment (ie. switchboxes, lights, radios).

Old 04-04-2011, 03:41 PM

It's for the thick molding that goes around the car for stopping door dings and such. On the bumper of my '85, it's actually a molded into the bumper, rather than something that is stuck onto it. The other molding pieces either stick on or bolt on to the body. The trim black color looks great, and is accurate for an '83, but I like the trim black color (satin) when a car is painted black. My car isn't 100% accurate in how I had it refurbished (I hate the word "restored"). The changes are subtle, but certainly could be reversed if necessary.

To show you the trim, here is side shot of the car -

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:23 AM
...Gathering Parts

Very nice car. I like the body style too. You guys do a great job on your "renovations" then rather than the "restorations" if you will. So is that the same color you use to spray the 10 hole wheels too or do you simply use body paint color only?

Thanks for the answers.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks!

I don't think that the trim black is the same as the satin black paint I used on the wheels. They're similar, but not quite the same. My 10-holes actually came on my car when I bought it, but they were knicked up with pealing clearcoat. Being frugal, I sandblasted the wheels, then used a rattle can to prime and paint them. That was two years ago with frequent driving and they still look great. I will be installing the correct steel wheels and caps in a few weeks, so I'm excited about that.

In terms of "restoration" vs. "refurbish", that's just a personal gripe of mine. It's always bugged me when I see a car listed for sale or described by the owner as being restored, yet it's loaded with aftermarket parts and widgets. Call it a "Resto-Mod", cuz it's not technically a restoration.

And I'm not bad-mouthing cars like that - I own one myself! (rather, I'm its caretaker).

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!