Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > 1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1982-1986 Special Service Mustangs The 4-eyed cars.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 AM

I hope this is an easier restore than you thought the 86 was going to be.
Have fun with this car and enjoy the hard work and then the rfuits of your labor when it's done.

I'd send that thing out to paint first thing!

Matt
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Matt- I think that paint will be the first thing. I need to get the new front clip put on and make sure everything looks right, and find a passenger door for it. Once that's done it will be off for body and paint. I think I have a lead on a low mileage wrecked '85 GT parts car that should source the engine/trans/exhaust which would be really nice, we will see if that works out like I hope.

Having the wheels/caps/seats and good dash/door panels alone makes this car an easier restore for me than the '86, although honestly I still have a soft spot for those EFI cars... I need to find someone to blast and powdercoat the wheels for me as well, any recommendations? What about going semigloss vs gloss on the wheels?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Matt- I think that paint will be the first thing. I need to get the new front clip put on and make sure everything looks right, and find a passenger door for it. Once that's done it will be off for body and paint. I think I have a lead on a low mileage wrecked '85 GT parts car that should source the engine/trans/exhaust which would be really nice, we will see if that works out like I hope.

Having the wheels/caps/seats and good dash/door panels alone makes this car an easier restore for me than the '86, although honestly I still have a soft spot for those EFI cars... I need to find someone to blast and powdercoat the wheels for me as well, any recommendations? What about going semigloss vs gloss on the wheels?
Keystone wheels you should have one there in Austin. They can do semi gloss black. I had a set that was gloss and they looked just fine. I know I will be taking some wheels to them in the next year or so to have mine done.
I know what you're saying about the EFI cars though. That is why all the rest of my SSP's are and will be EFI 86-93. The CHP will be a show car around here and the Texas and Nebraska car will travel. they will have everything working as far as A/C and heat and will not be driving on Goodyear Gatorbacks.

Matt
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Looks like it's going to be an awesome project. At least it has just the one DPS repaint too. Are you going back to stock or are you going to have some goodies on the motor?
http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/
Old 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM

Probably going back straight to stock. There is a very small chance that I'll do heads/cam but i really want it to run right and I think if I go back stock I'll have the best chance of having a car that runs like it should. I'm considering doing 3.73 gears to make it a little more fun to drive though. I want it to look completely stock, if I don't find a set of original pipes I'll do flowmaster stainless because they look pretty close. And I just might do a true dual conversion, but it just depends on how much luck I have finding the original equipment.

I can't wait to get it painted and back on the road so I can start making it to a couple of shows, and meet up with everyone here for some photo ops when the time comes!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Troop D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkSVT View Post
Where are the cats going to live now that you trailered away their home?
More like rats...

Why police should not pursue Stangs...
Why you should not get caught by the police in your Stang...