Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 AM
Admin

That cable went out yesterday. Hope it (and the connectors) help out.

I tried to link to my Photobucket earlier, but their site was down. Here is the best picture I could find of my old '82. You can see the bracket there. It's definitely different than the newer version in the resto doc.

http://s299.photobucket.com/user/ime...tml?sort=3&o=0

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-19-2017, 12:53 AM

Thanks, Mike I'll be ready for that cable. The photos are a very useful reference source.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:05 PM

Default 0327 Electrical Testing

I installed the fuse block, CC1 and MPA2, wired everything else up. Today I powered up the CC1 for the first time.

What is working: Spotlights, rear deck lights, shotgun rack (release and map light).

What is not working: Siren, PA output. When I set the CC1 switch to Siren (with ignition on) I get a loud click from the outside speaker, indicating that it at least is getting some output from the MPA2. Same with the PA, with a mic plugged into the CC1, flipping the PA switch on the CC1 to the on position results in the same click from the speaker, but no sound output.

Could be the mic for the PA is no good. I wonder whether the horn ring circuit for the CC1 has to be connected for the siren to work at all. I have not wanted to set up the horn-controlled (Manual) siren; I don't think it would be useful.

Tonight I will have to get into the schematics of the CC1 and MPA2 to understand what to troubleshoot.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM

It's alive! Mostly. I can't wait to see it all functioning, Steve. 0327 is in good hands.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:57 PM
Admin

Steve,

When I tested the big batch of CC1s/MPA2s I found a few years back, I didn't use the horn ring circuit.

Sounds like it could be a bad amp or bad speaker to me.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-29-2017, 01:23 AM

Yes, it is alive. I forgot to mention the Wig Wags work also.

I'll try testing the speaker separately; then it will be back to basics on troubleshooting. Tracing power through the MPA2, looking at schematics, etc. I'm glad to know you didn't need the horn ring circuit connected, Mike, that helps to know that.

I really want the siren and PA working. At the Ripon Emergency Vehicle Show in October, they have a parade of the vehicle through town, Code 3. I want 0327 standing tall and looking good with all emergency eqpt working!

Yesterday I applied for registration at DMV as a historical vehicle (great suggestion from Mac88chp, I had forgotten about that). So now it's street legal to drive, I can get it tuned up and smog checked and start putting a few miles on her to shake off the rust.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:54 PM

Default MPA2 Troubleshooting

The Federal MPA2 Siren/Amplifier is very easy to bench test. Today I did that; simply connected B+ and B- to 12 Volts DC, the speaker output to a speaker powerful enough to handle the 100W output, then connected +12V to pin 9 of the input connector. The siren Wail function worked as it should.

So I've got a bad CC1. I opened it up; it has a repair tag inside from 1986. I doubt it's seen any servicing since then.

The plastic output connector, J1, that connects to the MPA2, has seen better days. Both tabs on the sides that hold it in the housing have become brittle and broken off, so the connector floats. Plus all the pins are badly oxidized. I tried to clean them using an emery board, but it is very difficult to do a good job. It is possible the +12V the CC1 siren switch sends to pin 9 for Wail wasn't making it past the oxidized pin.

Fortunately, all of the connectors and pins are still made and are readily available online from DigiKey. So I am going to order a replacement connector, pins, then build a new one. It's tedious work but worth a shot. If after that it doesn't work then the electronics section of the CC1 that controls this signal, and the PA system, are likely bad. I'll then probably just look for a known good CC1 to buy.

Meanwhile, I can always just route +12V through the siren switch directly to pin 9 and make the siren work, which at least gets that part done.

When this is all complete I'll document the whole thing with all the connector and pin p/s, etc.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:20 PM

Good call on not hooking up the horn ring circuit. I had mine hooked up and it worked great for about 7 years but now I'm having an issue with my siren operation that I suspect lies in that circuit. For the parade duty these cars will only likely see nowadays you're right that it's not all that useful.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The Federal MPA2 Siren/Amplifier is very easy to bench test. Today I did that; simply connected B+ and B- to 12 Volts DC, the speaker output to a speaker powerful enough to handle the 100W output, then connected +12V to pin 9 of the input connector. The siren Wail function worked as it should.

So I've got a bad CC1. I opened it up; it has a repair tag inside from 1986. I doubt it's seen any servicing since then.

The plastic output connector, J1, that connects to the MPA2, has seen better days. Both tabs on the sides that hold it in the housing have become brittle and broken off, so the connector floats. Plus all the pins are badly oxidized. I tried to clean them using an emery board, but it is very difficult to do a good job. It is possible the +12V the CC1 siren switch sends to pin 9 for Wail wasn't making it past the oxidized pin.

Fortunately, all of the connectors and pins are still made and are readily available online from DigiKey. So I am going to order a replacement connector, pins, then build a new one. It's tedious work but worth a shot. If after that it doesn't work then the electronics section of the CC1 that controls this signal, and the PA system, are likely bad. I'll then probably just look for a known good CC1 to buy.

Meanwhile, I can always just route +12V through the siren switch directly to pin 9 and make the siren work, which at least gets that part done.

When this is all complete I'll document the whole thing with all the connector and pin p/s, etc.
Nice work. Those CC1s are like tanks...hopefully it's just the bad contact.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Default 0327 Goes Out For a Drive

It was a nice sunny day today so while I wait for parts to come in to repair the CC1 I thought I should work on getting 0327 ready for its visit to the smog checking shop next week. I put a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank, took out all my tools, put the driver's seat back in, and went for a drive. After warming up it felt really good. Lots of power, as I remember, and I appreciate all the work chp1982 did on the suspension. It felt solid.

Then I parked it and took some photos. You can see in the photos I still have the dash pad and bezels out; when the CC1 is working I'll reinstall everything.

It was a good feeling behind the wheel of an 82 SSP again. Brought back many memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (57.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg 005.JPeG (428.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpeg 002.JPeG (557.1 KB, 21 views)