Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Default More Info

Some of you may be curious about transportation of prisoners using the Mustangs. The Mustangs did not have wire mesh screens behind the driver's seat as you may have seen in other patrol cars. It would not have been practical to try to put anyone in the small back seat. With the Mustang, the subject (handcuffed) would be placed in the passenger seat, then wrist-wrapped with the seat belt. Wrist-wrap means the hands, handcuffed behind the subject's back, are brought to the right side (toward the door) and the buckle of the waist and shoulder strap is physically wrapped around the hands. It then goes across the subject's body in front and connects into the latch near the console, as it would normally do. I always preferred, in whatever car I drove in my career, to transport arrestees this way because I could keep an eye on them and wrist-wrapped and secured there wasn't much they could do if they were really unhappy but holler and maybe spit at you. To deal with that, I kept several large paper shopping bags in the trunk. If I had someone who was giving me a hard time, I would simply explain to them that they were going to be treated exactly as they acted. If they acted like a civilized human being, they would be treated accordingly. If they chose to act like an animal, that could also be accommodated. The shopping bags were for spitters; a shopping bag placed over the head renders that tactic useless. I only had to take a bag out, display it, and explain how it would be used and that always took care of any potential problem. Never actually had to use it.

870255 handled its share of arrestees; in a wide-open area like that, where you could be miles from the nearest civilization and backup you had to be prepared to do everything by yourself. You could not afford to lose control and let anything get out of hand or you could be in real trouble.

One summer evening, well after dark, I was patrolling on a two-lane state route when I came up behind a vehicle that was driving slower than normal and weaving, occasionally crossing the lines on both sides. I couldn't see much other than to observe there were numerous subjects in the vehicle, but it seemed very likely the driver was impaired. It was several miles to the nearest town, and I would have preferred to just follow this vehicle into town and make the stop in a well-lighted area where there was plenty of room. But I couldn't; this guy was driving so badly there was a chance he'd drift over the center line and take somebody out head-on, or go so far to the right he would roll down off the raised roadway and crash. I had to get him stopped. As soon as we got to a place that had some, if not much, shoulder area, I activated the red spotlight and flashing hi-beam headlights and managed to get the vehicle stopped. I made my approach on the driver's side and smelled the unmistakable odor of alcohol as I made contact. I also observed three other subjects in the vehicle that looked as though they were in a similar condition. I got the driver out and to the rear near my car. He was obviously seriously intoxicated; he was disoriented and confused as though things were happening too fast for him to process. Then I noticed the passenger's door starting to open as though he was going to come out. This I did not want; the situation was deteriorating rapidly. I quickly handcuffed the driver, searched him, and wrist-wrapped him into the Mustang. I went back to the driver's side, reached in and took the keys, then got back into my car. On the PA speaker I told the passengers to get out and start walking, then put 870255 in gear and took off like a bat out of hell before they even had a chance to all get out. The next day the vehicle was still there, minus its passengers. I think the long walk might have done them some good, maybe it helped them sober up.

As for the driver, he got to ride in an SSP Mustang! I'm certain he didn't fully appreciate it at the time, but now he has something to tell his grandchildren!
Old 04-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Love seeing the latest picture and hearing all the additional tidbits.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Admin

I like the paper bag approach! I'll have to put some in my '82 when it's done.

I used to use the pull the shirt over the head method. Of course, that was only good if the person was wearing a shirt.

I seriously can't remember ever reading posts like this from someone who drove the early cars, much less an '82. Great stuff!

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM

drooooolllll..........

great pictures, great stories.....thanks for sharing and keep them coming.. !!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 04-12-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Finding an SSP Mustang

I have been thinking about how i might find 870255 and I came up with an idea. CHP Motor Transport in Sacramento surely has records of all these vehicles, including the VIN numbers. I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

I'm going to work on this. Wouldn't that be cool if it was owned by a little old lady who only used it to go to church on Sundays and was in excellent condition?

I'm thinking about posting another story. Either the Twilight Zone story, or perhaps how the SSP Mustangs, like their namesakes, could be used to round up cattle.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Admin

If you go there, can you please let us know? Several of us are still looking for our assignment cards. Another LEO (out of state) had mine pulled for #0559 and was kind enough to send me a faxed copy of it. Only problem is that it's mostly illegible. Another CHP employee has looked for it, but I heard it wasn't filed back correctly and couldn't be located? I'm sure it's still there somewhere, and a bunch of other guys would like to have theirs also. Maybe they'd be willing to give you the entire lot of 'em.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.
Imagine how bad it would suck if the car was entered stolen and the originating agency had a locate and contacted you to see if you had the vehicle in your custody.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP959(R) View Post
Imagine how bad it would suck if the car was entered stolen and the originating agency had a locate and contacted you to see if you had the vehicle in your custody.
Yeah...most places will let you run it for a small fee, as long as it's for research purposes (with the appropriate paperwork). It differs in each state, but I figured that's what he meant (since he's retired), not that a friend was going to run it in NCIC (which violates policy and shouldn't be done).

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
...Gathering Parts

I've seen LEEDS being used for that in the past when cars are being checked out for disposal which is borderline in my mind but is a good historical research tool not so much for checking for a current owner. I thought that California DMV had some tie in with emissions checks records and the VIN or tag number so if you get one or the other you might be able to see if the car is still in Cali.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Admin

Here is the online link to check smog records:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/mobile/S...searchType=LIC

Unfortunately, the E-plate has been purged. Further, the site will no longer provide plates (current or historical)
Quote:
**Note: "Display of both the VIN and plate number has been removed due to privacy concerns. Therefore, this information will not be reported back in the 'Vehicle Test History Report'. You may continue to look up a vehicle's test history using either the VIN or the plate number. However, the Bureau recommends using the VIN to obtain the most accurate results as a vehicle's plate number may change."

Mike

'83 Texas DPS