Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have been thinking about how i might find 870255 and I came up with an idea. CHP Motor Transport in Sacramento surely has records of all these vehicles, including the VIN numbers. I believe most, if not all, State DMV records are linked by LE computer systems. If I go to Motor Transport, get the VIN, then run it, if the vehicle is registered it should come up.

I'm going to work on this. Wouldn't that be cool if it was owned by a little old lady who only used it to go to church on Sundays and was in excellent condition?
Steve, if you can find the car's VIN, then you may be able to get some information on the car from California DMV. Check out this thread:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2676

In terms of going to Motor Transport, you (being retired CHP) may have better access than an out-of-state LEO or civilian to the Assignment Cards. I think many of the Mustang cards have been tossed, but some still remain. The source I've used in the past has about a 17% success rate in finding the original cards. So the odds aren't great, but it's possible. As a reference, here is a copy of mine (with the VIN removed):

If you can gain access to the Assignemnt Cards, it would be great if they would allow you to search through them to find all of ones for Mustangs (listed on the front of the card under "BODY") and pull those. That way they could refer any future inquiries to you rather than wasting time looking through them. I have seen the following years with these prefix numbers ahead of the unit number:

1982 E85_ _ _ _
1982 E87_ _ _ _
1984 E??_ _ _ _
1985 E40_ _ _ _
1986 E41_ _ _ _
1987 E42_ _ _ _
1988 E43_ _ _ _
1989 E??_ _ _ _
1990 E88_ _ _ _
1991 E38_ _ _ _
1992 E40_ _ _ _
1993 E89_ _ _ _

I've also seen exceptions to the above prefixes, but that's a general listing. If you can gain access to all of the cards, then let us know. I suspect that we could locate a member or two that would be willing to assist you in your efforts.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!