Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Auto Transport Companies ??

Anybody know of or used a reliable and decent auto shipping company ??

I need to transport my new to me 89 Nebraska SSP from Missouri to the Northern Kentucky area.

Seems like prices are all over the map, but I'm really more concerned with how they will take care of the car during transport, pick up, drop off, etc...

Thanks !!
Scott

89 NE SSP
03 Cobra
93 LX Hatchback

10 F250 SuperDuty
12 Boss 302
12 GT500
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM

This past year I used Interstate Auto Movers to transport my 1993 MSHP SSP to Minneapolis and back to Detroit. This was when I had it sent off to company used to strip and repaint it. They were very reliable and the prices were competitive.

http://www.interstateautomovers.com/

In the past I've used DAS Auto Transport. Personally I didn't have any issues with them, although, I have heard of others who have had issues.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM

ONE on ONE off

When a car is taken off a transport truck so it can be loaded on
another transport truck you run the risk of damage.
every time it goes on and off .....damage may occur.
not to mention the day or two it is at the Depot or parked next to
Willie's house waiting for the North bound connection to make the pick up!
Also.....not everyone is a Car Guy
some were hauling Pipe or building materials the week before and this
is just Cargo so the chains can't hurt nutin. I am not saying that everyone
in the industry is like that. I have learned the hard way about auto transport.
If you decide to go commercial just remember that the very concerned sounding
person at the transport co. is not loading your car or driving the truck
they are usually a broker that is looking for the best (cheep) connection
from point A to B.
If it's only one car why don't you get a friend and do a road trip turn around
one way U-HAUL trailer n non stop driving!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM

Andy, I hope you told that guy in the SSP to stop tailgating you!

+1 for doing a road trip, if that's possible for you. I have some fond memories doing that sorta thing with my Dad. Good times!

I used Cim (sounds like Kim) Miller (602/803-0032) to haul my Model A from DE to AZ in 2006. He was great. Buyer was happy too.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 02-22-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
ONE on ONE off

When a car is taken off a transport truck so it can be loaded on
another transport truck you run the risk of damage.
every time it goes on and off .....damage may occur.
not to mention the day or two it is at the Depot or parked next to
Willie's house waiting for the North bound connection to make the pick up!
Also.....not everyone is a Car Guy
some were hauling Pipe or building materials the week before and this
is just Cargo so the chains can't hurt nutin. I am not saying that everyone
in the industry is like that. I have learned the hard way about auto transport.
If you decide to go commercial just remember that the very concerned sounding
person at the transport co. is not loading your car or driving the truck
they are usually a broker that is looking for the best (cheep) connection
from point A to B.
If it's only one car why don't you get a friend and do a road trip turn around
one way U-HAUL trailer n non stop driving!
Andy -
That's exactly what I'm worried about, the loading on/off of the Transport truck !! Or, what happens in between if it's sitting at a terminal etc. One good thing is that it's only approx. 350 miles from me, so it should make it here in only a day or two travel time. I only have 1 day off in the next few weeks, so chances of me making a road trip are very slim. I think I've got enough good suggestions to decide on a shipper.

thx
Scott

89 NE SSP
03 Cobra
93 LX Hatchback

10 F250 SuperDuty
12 Boss 302
12 GT500
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM

The thing I've found about these auto shippers is that even the close destinations can take awhile depending upon the path a driver is taking to the various destinations. When I used Interstate, the truck it was loaded on each way was the same truck that made the drop off. Because of that I had to meet the driver at a nearby Kmart parking lot as it was somewhere big enough he could get his very large truck into/out of for loading/unloading. This was "technically" a door to door, but not really.

When I used DAS they picked up with a smaller flat bed and took it to a depot for its connection. When it came back it was delivered to a deopt again and then brought on a flat bed to my front door. In this case it was in reality door-to-door. Like Andy mentions a lot of on and off with this approach that DAS used in my cases. I'm also aware that these depots are often not in the best parts of town. When we were moving from Minneapolis to Michigan and my old 1969 Mach I was being shipped I had heard the DAS depot in Minneapolis was in a BAD part of town. Probably best that I did not actually see where it was as I would have been worried sick.

Everything worked out and no issues with them whatsoever. That being said I would go with the way Interstate moved my 93 Mustang in the future. I'd rather see the truck it is going to make entire trip on and to just know it isn't going to be passed between trucks along the way.

I agree the road trip method is alot of fun too. My dad and I did that with my old FHP Mustang. Good memories!

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/
Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

I used DAS once, back in 2004. The trip cost me $650, depot to depot, Sacramento, CA to Detroit, MI. Had to have my father drop it off, and I had to go pick it up. It worked out fine. The company that brought my SSP to me in 2008 was Tri-Star Carriers, Inc. I would use them again. They used a dually pickup truck equipted with a fifth wheel, pulling a two tier trailer. They picked the car up in Sacramento out of my parents driveway and brought it almost to my driveway. The only thing keeping them from my driveway were low hanging trees. I just had to meet them a few blocks away. The car never left the original trailer. Loaded once. Unloaded once. Its trailer mates were a Lexus, and a BMW and something else. $950 to ship from Sacramento, CA to Detroit, MI. Again, that was the summer of 2008, when gas prices were sky rocketing.

'93 SSP
'90 LX 'vert - Sold
'87 LX hatch (parted out)
'88 LX 'vert (should have never)
'83 GL hatch (college car, long gone)
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM

I used Next-Day to bring my CSP to south tx last week .
It was all good until the driver had truck issues 4hrs from here and left my car at a storage yard and NO one called to tell me !
I got the car 24hrs later after i pitched a big fit !

the same company delivered my USPS car from LA to Tx , no issues ! it was 2 days early that time .

ssp91ssp
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 AM

I did the U-haul form of transporting in a snowstorm across route 80 on New Years Eve...made for a very interesting trip with no issues and great memories. If you can find the time and can make the trip with a friend...$49.00 a day is the way to go, you know the guy loading the car also cares for it as well. I just recommend a set of ratchet tie down straps in addition to the sling ones that come with the trailer that go over the front wheels. I can tell you nothing beats a good road trip!
1991 Santa Clara #91054 SOLD
Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Default ** NEVER ** use Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) !!!

I called on 1/27/10 to have a car moved from California to New York. It was supposed to arrive in NY on or before the 15th of February, today is the 23th NO CAR !!! It sat at a terminal in California for 10 days before being loaded, then it sat in a terminal in Wyoming for two more days, it made it to Illonois where it sat for 5 more days in another terminal. As of right now it is sitting at a terminal in Rhode Island !!! When I placed the order I was told it would leave California and would be on ONE truck to the East Coast - How about sitting in three terminals and 5 trucks later and still NO car. After conversation tonight they told me it's in process but there is NO arrival date.

I know that this company has another meaning to the word DEPENDABLE !!! Do yourself a favor and NEVER give this company consideration - I am learning the hard way !!!