Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Congrats Bill !!! CHP8383 Has been found !!! This will be really fun restoring this car. Our team efforts paid off on this one.... lol.... let the fun begin.
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM

Very exciting Bill! Congrats on the find.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP8336 View Post
Congrats Bill !!! CHP8383 Has been found !!! This will be really fun restoring this car. Our team efforts paid off on this one.... lol.... let the fun begin.
Rich, I cannot begin to thank you enough for going the extra mile (or 400!) for me on this car. Glad to hear you made it home safely.

The irony of obtaining the documentation on a car before actually finding the car again and buying it is not lost on me. From Rich's description, it sounds like a great starting point. The numbers 8383 are still visible by the VIN label on the driver's door, and the car has both Buck Tags on the radiator support. Once I get it titled, I will have to see if Marti Auto has the original Eminger Invoice for this car.

My plan for the car may evolve, but currently I want to perform a complete restoration on the car, similar to what ImEvil1 is doing with his 1985 FHP Mustang. This will involve a complete disassembly of the car to have it soda blasted, repaired (as needed), and painted. I will most likely have the car painted in the same manner as was done originally with the car. Ford painted it white and black. After having been used as a B&W, the CHP painted the car white (the door frames too) for use as a SMPV. So the restoration will have the same layering of the paint. Once I get the car back from the painter, I will reassemble the car with as many new/NOS parts as possible.

This will certainly be a fun project!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM

Here are some pictures that Ken took last evening when Rich brought the car home.

Back before sunset!

Side shot -

Shot of the dash -

More to come for sure!
Old 09-24-2012, 01:29 PM

So freaking cool Bill!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted to CHPs/SSPs

Hey Bill! You're not the only 8383 in town

09 CHP

Sam-
1985 CHP #8337
CHP Motor Transport Mustangs
Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
The deal is DONE! With the help of Rich aka CHP8336, I was able to buy this 1985 CHP Mustang. I have been searching for this car for quite a while actually. It surfaced in 2010 as seen here:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...ead.php?t=2518

After it had sold, we came to realize that this car had the same VIN as the following 1985 CHP Mustang -

Which is the car shown in the following in-service picture -

That's right! A SMPV Mustang from the 1987 pilot year of the program has finally been found. It's one of 15 cars, according to a news article found by Jack aka Va 5.0, as discussed here -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...6&postcount=24

This would not have been possible with Rich's help. I sent the seller a deposit, and overnighted the balance in USPS money orders to Rich, who drove 7 hours to meet with the seller this morning. Rich just picked up the car, and is driving back to his place with the SMPV. He has offered to keep the car until I make arrangements to bring the car out East.

THANK YOU, Rich!
Thanks for the kind words Bill!!

I would like everyone to know that we found this car over a year ago and before Bill could research the vin THE CAR WAS SOLD. Bill was disapointed to say the least.
I told Bill that I would be on a daily mission to locate this car! I really had a gut feeling I would find this car again.
I was up late the other nite and found this 85 and text bill with the craigslist listing. Bill contacted the seller and asked for the vin and there it was!!! I was NOT going to let this car get away this time... lol...
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM

The number one B E S T !!!!! save in the past 5 years Bill. Super rare car that was a part of the history of these cars. Congrats!!!

now.....are you going to put the MX7000 light bar back on the car? (see the designation on the assignment card?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MX7000.jpg (68.6 KB, 149 views)

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
The number one B E S T !!!!! save in the past 5 years Bill. Super rare car that was a part of the history of these cars. Congrats!!!

now.....are you going to put the MX7000 light bar back on the car? (see the designation on the assignment card?)
Thanks Jim! I am really excited about saving this SSP. In terms of the MX7000, since the Assignment Card also shows the "square-with-a-dot-inside" icon (which means slicktop), I think the MX7000 reference is for the lesser-known Regency scanner.

The Assignment Card for #E408445 (the other 85 SMPV with in-service pictures) also shows the MX7000 as having been installed at one time, before that car was used as an undercover vehicle with no radio equipment.

Going back to my SMPV, it will be interesting to map out existing holes in the interior to determine which ones may have been used for the repositioned equipment (versus holes made by subsequent owners). Finding/mounting the correct equipment could be very challenging.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM

Lol almost had u there........

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP