Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Special Service Mustang Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Special Service Mustang Tech Any and all technical questions for SSP cars.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:06 AM
VIN guru

The document you found is something I created to try to figure out and list E-plate numbers for CHPs. It's not complete, it's a work in progress. The idea to cross check E-plates and VINs was not mine but I ran with. The idea and the additional work I have done in that document has helped us figure out E-plate numbers for some CHPs.

Here is the direct link: http://foxchassis.com/files/SSP/CASmogCertificates.xlsx

I have a bunch of other documents in the parent directory: http://foxchassis.com/files/SSP/

If you are certain that your CHP's unit number was #9186 then the original E-plate was probably E389186, and not E899186. Reason why you didn't find any info for E389186 on the CA smog history site is probably because the info is too old for when it was in service. And yes, E-plates are reused.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 AM
VIN guru

If anybody wants to contribute time to continue filling in any of those documents, by all means, please do! Either by filing in the missing info for the VINs that are already there, or adding new VINs of suspected SSPs from that state. Ask me how to do the research and I'll show you.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Here is an example of a 1983 Washington State Patrol Mustang (unconfirmed agency usage) that resurfaced recently after having been added to the SSP VIN Project last year when it was for sale -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info165404.htm

The new owner has posted up more photos, which were added to the car's page. Note that there is a 2nd Buck Tag, even though the car was painted a single color (there had been some talk about the early single-color SSPs not having a 2nd tag). The second tag only lists the DSO number, but I think this is the first early, single-color SSP we have seen that has a second tag. Pretty cool!

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Here is an example of a 1983 Washington State Patrol Mustang (unconfirmed agency usage) that resurfaced recently after having been added to the SSP VIN Project last year when it was for sale -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info165404.htm

The new owner has posted up more photos, which were added to the car's page. Note that there is a 2nd Buck Tag, even though the car was painted a single color (there had been some talk about the early single-color SSPs not having a 2nd tag). The second tag only lists the DSO number, but I think this is the first early, single-color SSP we have seen that has a second tag. Pretty cool!
Very cool. First one we've seen like that.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
The document you found is something I created to try to figure out and list E-plate numbers for CHPs. It's not complete, it's a work in progress. The idea to cross check E-plates and VINs was not mine but I ran with. The idea and the additional work I have done in that document has helped us figure out E-plate numbers for some CHPs.

Here is the direct link: http://foxchassis.com/files/SSP/CASmogCertificates.xlsx

I have a bunch of other documents in the parent directory: http://foxchassis.com/files/SSP/

If you are certain that your CHP's unit number was #9186 then the original E-plate was probably E389186, and not E899186. Reason why you didn't find any info for E389186 on the CA smog history site is probably because the info is too old for when it was in service. And yes, E-plates are reused.
My apologies for the rookie repost! I sure wish I could find the service card on my car, I'd love to know more about its history while in service. All I know is my unit number and on the DSO it said 70(something), which I believe meant it was destined for San Jose. My father is a retired SO and he's been helping me with the project, I just wish he was a retired CHP and knew someone at San Jose who might have access to the old records (if they even exist!).

Here's a picture of the inside of my door. Above the painted number under the paint is a sticker with a date from 05/19/92, which I'm guessing is the in-service date. Funny thing is, the same DIY sticker material was used to make one on my instrument cluster that says "Stall 4." Small clues into its past, just wish I had a lead on more!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:44 AM
VIN guru

No worried on posting the link to my doc. Most people here probably didn't know about it. Just letting you know that I'm the one that put it together.

FYI: The two-digit "72" DSO on your door tag indicated which sales office the car (from the Ford dealer in that sales district and region) was ordered through. It does not have anything to do with where the car served with the CHP.

72 = San Jose district sales office
0002 = 1992 model year special order #0002

If a CHP SSP that was ordered through DSO 72 happened to serve in the San Jose region, that is pure coincidence.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:41 AM
5150 Member

Hey 3cRider,
I did something years back and stumbled onto my E-plate number. While I was at the DMV, I asked for history on my car and I was able to get a Registration Information Request print out. Most of the info on it was mine, until I got to the bottom area and realized it had my E-plate printed on there. I believe it cost about $5.

Ken

1989 CHP Unit #5300 (SMPV). Central Division Fresno,CA.

1985 NHP Unit #30. Federal Test Car Reno,NV.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP5300/
Old 05-29-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
Looking at the CHP Unit Number ranges from 1992 (there were two batches that year), I agree that your Unit Number was E389186. The E89xxxx range is not close to the numbers on your door jam.

Ken's suggestion about getting a DMV registration history is good, but California may not be offering that service any longer due to privacy laws. It's still worth looking into IMO. Here is a thread where the topic was discussed:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...California+DMV

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Mick, thanks for all of the pictures for the (1 of 2) Landis, NC Police Department SSP Mustang -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net...info132223.htm

Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 PM
VIN guru

Thanks to Larry at .ORG for sending me all those pics. I remember seeing one of the two still in service in town up until just a few short years ago. This one is the second of two. The first one is still on the road in the area but I don't know who owns it.