Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > Members' SSPs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Members' SSPs A place to post up pics of your SSP, whether restored, in-progress, or somewhere in-between.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Thanks guys!

Yes, from the assignment card I knew the location number (#165). With that, I went on one of the California government websites (forget which one) and randomly search CHP stations for the matching number. My car served in Quincy, CA, which is NW of Reno, Nevada.

i would love to get my hands on the assignment card for my 82 chp car. !!!!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 06-18-2009, 02:18 PM

Default 6/18/2009 Update

Bacon is making daily progress in terms of looking again like a real car. The trunklid was remounted after being taken off to wire up the trunk light. Here you can see the side sail panel, side window trim, the rubber side molding behind the tire, and the spring-ball mount for the 66" CHP whip antenna.

I was surprised to see that they mounted the antenna base, as my intention had only been to provide it to the shop so they could make sure the opening was properly sized. Had I known that, I would have left them the a-pillar spot lights too

In this shot, you can kinda see that the driver's side front fender has been put in-place (but not secured yet). Neal had just lifted it into position when I walked in.

I told them that I need to have the car completed by June 26th, which is next Friday. Neal said that's do-able, but he'll know for sure by early next week. There's only about 2 days left of work to finish, but he is working on other cars too.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-19-2009, 11:25 AM

Smile 6/19/2009 Update

Both front fenders have been mounted, and the side moldings have been attached. In this shot, I test fitted the 66" CHP whip antenna, which is visible to the left of the green line.

I didn't leave the antenna on because it would hit the overhead lights. As most of you here know, the CHP used a retaining clip mounted in the doorjam by the top drip rail. I am in the process of recreating the clips using the same non-conductive phenolic material, but I need the car back to properly shape the aluminum bracket to the countour of the drip rail.

Here is a shot of the side moldings mounted to the car. They came out great IMO.

When I asked Neal if he was still on target for getting the car completed by Friday, June 26th, he smirked and said "should be". Ahh, nothing like getting a definite maybe to a question! But the car is coming along, and it is looking like it will be out of the body shop by the end of next week (knocks on wood).

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Default 6/23/2009 Update

Here's a shot of the underside of the hood. You can actually see the reflection of the air cleaner!

I'll need to remove and paint the hood prop rod, don't ya think? The engine compartment will need a thorough detailing once it is back home. I will probably get some touch up paint and go inside the recessed areas of the hood to make sure those areas are black.

The front bumper should be going on the car this afternoon, so as it looks now the car will be ready to drive home this Friday!

Assuming I have the car back Friday, I will be wrenching through my To-Do List Friday night and all day Saturday. Jack (our 13yo) is supposed to go to Hershey Park all weekend with the Boy Scouts, but he said if the car is back he wants to stay home and work on it with me. [good boy!] I need to get the car assembled ASAP because it was selected to be featured as the July Stang of the Month on a Mustang forum. The picture session will be within the next week, so I'll have no time to waste.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Have fun when you get it home but I'd resist rushing it too much trying to make a single deadline. Big "oops" potential with that plus you'd miss out on some of the satisfaction factor that comes with the project being in the final assembly "payoff" phase.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM

Agreed. My To-Do List is too long for me to try and rush through things, so I plan to start with mounting the CHP lights. Anything after that will be a bonus.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

I find it ironic that all three 1985 CHP unit numbers 8302,8336,8395 are all getting restored at the same time. Bill your car looks great! My car is still getting estimates for paint. I did not think that getting your car painted in Ca you had to refinance your home to pay for it. If I can not find a paint job for a fair price I will show the car this year in its black paint job.
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/
Old 06-25-2009, 01:05 PM

Default 6/25/2009 Update

I stopped by Diver Chevrolet today (no, not to pick up a new Camaro!). I had them clean and detail the replacement seats.

They are still a bit wet. I know they aren't the original pattern for my 85, but they are a lot closer to original than what is in the car now. These look better too, despite some color fading and a small tare on the driver's seat. I'll keep an eye out for better, original seats. If I have to, I may get these recovered.

I will find out later today whether or not the car will ready tomorrow. If not, then it may not be done until Monday or Tuesday.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Here's what the driver's side bumper absorber looked like yesterday -

And here it is this afternoon -

The new NOS headlight header panel arrived today, so the bumper will be going on tomorrow. The hood needs to be buffed out, and some trim needs to be installed. But the car MAY be ready to come home tomorrow evening.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:21 PM

Default chp in progress

I just went through the same thing with my NCHP/CHP Clone, it all worth it in the end!

John Costa
1993 EX-FHP #1357
1991 NCHP #91-1212
2005 GT UNMARKED
www.photobucket.com/johnsrides