Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
We've discussed this here before ad nauseam. The guy that just robbed the local stop and go isn't looking at your plates, or what you're wearing, or reading what your door decals say.

As long as you know the risks, and are OK with them, and aren't breaking any laws, then have at it.
I doubt any robber would mistake my SSP for a current police vehicle, as the Minnesota State Patrol did such a good job of making their SSPs look like civilian Mustangs (mud flaps, no spotlights, only marked the passenger door, factory antenna used for all radios, silver 10-hole wheels, all lights located inside except for clear driving lights — turn red when on) and they had so few (total of 20, in at least 7 different colors), spread out across the state. The MSP only used the 1989 model (until mid 1993), so they have not been on the roads in over 18 years. Most people (good or bad) don't know what it is (or was).

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
2018 2.7 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercrew
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXNODRAMANOTCH View Post
I like driving my SSP, and I would not trailer it, even if I had a trailer (I know some states require it, but luckily not here). I doubt bad people think police cars have collector plates, and I bet some of them can read 8 words without being overwhelmed and opening fire. I also don't wear anything close to what a LEO would wear while I'm driving my SSP (or any other time, for that matter). Actually in Minnesota I don't even need to cover up any markings or equipment to legally drive the car on public roads. As long as the vehicle has MN Collector Plates displayed it can have whatever equipment and markings that were on it when it was new. I choose to cover up the markings as a courtesy to my fellow drivers who might think it is an active police vehicle and not want to pass me on the freeway etc. I also choose to cover up the emblem so local LEOs who are not familiar with the state statutes concerning collector cars will not waste my time (or theirs) with an unwarranted stop. I thought about a plain magnet, but then someone could still think it might be an undercover vehicle, where as if they see "Collector Show Car" they know what they are dealing with.
My $.02 worth exactly!!!!!
You hit the nail on the head with above comment.
We all have to do what we think is right for usans and the hobby. There a few folks out there that don't give a (you know what) about any thing.
20 years doing this and never been stopped (even in Ca.)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Admin

Quote:
I doubt any robber would mistake my SSP for a current police vehicle, as the Minnesota State Patrol did such a good job of making their SSPs look like civilian Mustangs (mud flaps, no spotlights, only marked the passenger door, factory antenna used for all radios, silver 10-hole wheels, all lights located inside except for clear driving lights — turn red when on) and they had so few (total of 20, in at least 7 different colors), spread out across the state. The MSP only used the 1989 model (until mid 1993), so they have not been on the roads in over 18 years. Most people (good or bad) don't know what it is (or was).
If that were the case, you probably wouldn't have the need to cover up while on the highway, either.

Quote:
I choose to cover up the markings as a courtesy to my fellow drivers who might think it is an active police vehicle and not want to pass me on the freeway etc. I also choose to cover up the emblem so local LEOs who are not familiar with the state statutes concerning collector cars will not waste my time (or theirs) with an unwarranted stop. I thought about a plain magnet, but then someone could still think it might be an undercover vehicle, where as if they see "Collector Show Car" they know what they are dealing with.
I dont think stopping someone driving what looks like a police car is "wasting time". There are reasons that many of these laws exist.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363
Old 10-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
If that were the case, you probably wouldn't have the need to cover up while on the highway, either.

I dont think stopping someone driving what looks like a police car is "wasting time". There are reasons that many of these laws exist.

Better to error on the side of over-informing than not at all. I Just stated the facts about the laws here and IMHO a LEO who pulls over a car with collector plates that looks like it might have been a police car because he/she is not aware of the state statutes pertaining to collector cars is wasting their time (and the taxpayers money). I'm all for a LEO stopping someone driving what looks like a police car if they don't have collector plates or are in violation of any state statutes. Thanks for your feedback (as well as all of those who responded).

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
Old 10-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Admin

Quote:
Better to error on the side of over-informing than not at all. No rationalization needed. I Just stated the facts about the laws here and IMHO a LEO who pulls over a car with collector plates that looks like it might have been a police car because he/she is not aware of the state statutes pertaining to collector cars is wasting their time (and the taxpayers money). I'm all for a LEO stopping someone driving what looks like a police car if they don't have collector plates or are in violation of any state statutes. Thanks for your feedback (as well as all of those who responded).
I think we've done a pretty good job of "over-informing" on the responsibilities (and dangers) of driving a restored, retired police car on the public roadways. The "collector plates" aren't revelant to a majority of the members here, since most states couldn't care less about what plates are on your car (and neither do criminals).

Bill posted up a great link on page 1 that goes into all of this at length.

It is all about "image" and perception as it relates to this hobby. Door decals, meant as a "cover up", but with a badge on them, sends the wrong message. If you disagree with that opinion, you are certainly free to do so.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I think we've done a pretty good job of "over-informing" on the responsibilities (and dangers) of driving a restored, retired police car on the public roadways. The "collector plates" aren't revelant to a majority of the members here, since most states couldn't care less about what plates are on your car (and neither do criminals).

Bill posted up a great link on page 1 that goes into all of this at length.

It is all about "image" and perception as it relates to this hobby. Door decals, meant as a "cover up", but with a badge on them, sends the wrong message. If you disagree with that opinion, you are certainly free to do so.
Just what is the wrong message being sent? My SSP, that is now a collector show car was at one time a police vehicle (nothing to be ashamed of in my book). So how does a sign with a small, slanted, generic badge image (with no words or numbers on the badge) send a wrong message? I'm just trying to follow your logic. Nothing personal intended (nor taken).

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
Just what is the wrong message being sent? My SSP, that is now a collector show car was at one time a police vehicle (nothing to be ashamed of in my book). So how does a sign with a small, slanted, generic badge image (with no words or numbers on the badge) send a wrong message? I'm just trying to follow your logic. Nothing personal intended (nor taken).
You are covering up police indicia (door seal) with something displaying police indicia (a badge). It kinda defeats the entire purpose, and it can also give the wrong impression.

Mike

'83 Texas DPS
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 PM

Yesterday getting ready to go home after the local
cars n coffee someone commented as I was putting the
magnetic white (say nothing) strips on the door to MASK the
CHP markings.......
Is that so you don't get in trouble?and i said not really
But it is the common sense thing to do!

Not In Service Implies
COULD BE in service
Not In Service (with a Badge)???
...not the best idea

Last edited by 28HopUp; 10-25-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Keeping the peace :-)
Old 10-23-2011, 05:25 PM

OUT OF SERVICE

NOT IN SERVICE

The sad truth is that the general public would not know the difference. Both of those could be interpreted as a real police vehicle that has been sidelined temporarily for a variety of reasons. Here is a CHP Vic pulling a trailer for a motor, and the car is marked "out of service".

Personally, I kinda like this variation:

NO LONGER IN SERVICE

...which I think is closer to accurate with very little chance of being misunderstood. If I had a marked car, I would probably create a magnetic sign that read:

SHOW CAR
NO LONGER IN SERVICE

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
copcamaro
This message has been deleted by 28HopUp. Reason: The post strayed away from the topic at hand
Old 10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
FHP813
This message has been deleted by 28HopUp. Reason: The post strayed away from the topic at hand
Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 PM
copcamaro
Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yesterday getting ready to go home after the local
cars n coffee someone commented as I was putting the
magnetic white (say nothing) strips on the door to MASK the
CHP markings.......
Is that so you don't get in trouble?and i said not really
But it is the common sense thing to do!

Not In Service Implies
COULD BE in service
Not In Service (with a Badge)???
...not the best idea
So a sign that says "OUT OF SERVICE" "Collector Show Car" "In Transit" (with an obvious non-official badge graphic), that completely covers the actual door emblem is not as good of a solution as your solution depicted in the photo below?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Magnet.jpg (50.1 KB, 42 views)

1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
1989 5.0 LX Convertible

Last edited by 28HopUp; 10-25-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Cleaning up the post a bit/ :-)