Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Go Back   Special Service Mustang.net Forums > The Briefing Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

The Briefing Room All Non-Mustang related stuff.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Goodwill Ambassador

Exclamation Roman's Report

Letting y'all know that I am OK and so is my family. I am able to access internet because of generator power at the DPS office where I work. LOTS of power outages here in east Texas. I have three massive oak trees down in my back yard at home which will provide me firewood from now until rapture.
I have fence damage and my picnic table has been pulverized! Pictures to come when we have power restored...hopefully within the week. And I live about 120 (air miles) inland from the coast.
Galveston wasn't so lucky but I am sure all of you have heard.

We at the Texas DPS have now moved into search and recover mode.
We've brought in over 200 state troopers from all over Texas into east and southeast Texas to assist in downed tree reports, power lines, welfare checks and stranded motorists.
In my honest opinion, this overall operation went much better than Hurricane Rita (2005). The damage is more extensive but the evacuations and recovery efforts have went far smoother this time. WE LEARNED! This is my view from a police employee angle.

More to follow in a day or two. Stay tuned if interested. I'll post a few pictures not offered by the media.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Roman, good to hear from you and its good to know everyone is ok. It is a blessing the trees fell somewhere other than on the house !! Keep us informed and get the pics up when able to do so....

We are supposed to get a bunch of rain over the next 24 hours as Ike moves towards the New England area. We can use the rain but I hope we don't get 6 inches in 24 hours like Chicago did last night.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
CHiPster

Roman, Mike and all others who live in Houston and the storm affected areas, we here in Florida are also glad to hear all is well there with you and the family.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:59 AM

Default not good news

Ike made his way to Ohio today and made a mess. We had 50mph sustained winds with 80 mph gusts. I lost about ten huge trees , my well house is crushed, and I drug a bunch of roof shingles out of the pool.

Last week I planted 750 lbs of grass and 350 lbs of fertiliser, then blew 160 bales of straw on it. It was rained on twice in the last ten days and was just starting to germinate. Needless to say 80% of it is history and the straw is all gone. Nothing like flushing a grand down the toilet.....

it pales in comparison to the texas coast and galveston etc but it still sucks. Some of these trees are 48" in diameter. I will have to buy a saw to cut them up and its gonna take two weeks to get it all cleared.

A state of emergency was declared by my employer so I am now working mandatory OT till further. It is 3am here and not a single light can be seen for miles except for a full moon. There is no power on for miles and nearly every road is blocked by trees...... naturally my Verizon wireless modem is working though.....go figure

it could be worse. nobody was injured. My wife is at the house with a Colt 1911, and a generator with 20 gallons of extra fuel.

I definatly don't like IKE. Ike's a punk ass bitch!

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP
Old 09-15-2008, 07:58 AM

Ohio got a bum deal for sure, I would like to move to Galveston when I retire. Sorry to everyone who was hurt by this. We have been leading a charmed life in New England. Charlie