View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 11:04 PM
1985 CHP/NEV SSP'S

This subject seems to pop up alot on the ssp sites on a regular basis. In my opinion when you own a in service look ssp you are just looking for trouble if you try to drive your car on a public highway period. The problem is always solved if you keep ALL the equipment on your car and put it on a trailer. If a owner of a ssp wants to drive there car getting complaints on a public highway is always going to happen. The GENERAL public does not know the difference that it is a older unit out of service,but they think it is a impersonator. Even if your lights/emblems are covered. The GENERAL public does not know the difference. The fact that people try to drive these cars in full service look, just expect to get stopped on a regular basis period. If I wanted to drive my ssp on a public highway I would paint it a solid color and keep all the external equipment off the car and enjoy it. I have had this conversation with my local CHP office and this is the way it is here in Ca. Maybe other areas of the country things are different?
1985 California Highway Patrol #8336 Napa Ca office.

1985 Nevada Highway Patrol #30. Federal Test Car. Reno Nv office.

California Highway Patrol#8336 & Nevada Highway Patrol #30 Restoration Pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/CHP8336/