View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:43 PM

No wonder CHP phased them out QUICKLY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Volvo may not have called them police package but they had many unique things not available elsewhere.
To begin with they were T5's but without most of the luxury features found in those models(leather,trip computers,etc.)
I had three of them after they were retired from CHP and getting them serviced or ordering parts was always an adventure. From various mechanical parts to such simple things as door panels, these cars were anything but a stock T5. Volvo took parts from one model as well as some parts the Volvo dealer had no idea even existed and created a unique package.
One example is some of the skid protectors, or whatever they called them that were plastic on normal cars but these were made of steel, something the Volvo techs. had never seen before.
I'd probably have kept one but it seemed like every time I drove one a different warning light would come on or something would break. This followed CHP's experience with the cars, the records for these cars were 2-3 times as thick as a normal patrol vehicle
Proud owner of the vehicles:
1989 Ocala FL SSP unmarked drug enforcement unit
1989 Mustang GT (5 speed conversion)
1990 FHP unit - SOLD
1991 Davie, FL SSP #142 - SOLD
2014 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI