Thread: New Project Car
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM

Smile New Project Car

Our 14yo son, Jack, is interested in cars (with me as his father he didn't stand a chance otherwise!). The Mrs. and I had planned to let him drive the 66 Mustang that I drove in high school, but she was concerned about the car not having airbags, ABS, shoulder belts, etc. So we've been keeping an eye out for a project car for us to work on together. I figure if he has his time and money invested into a car before he gets his license, then he'd be more likely to take care of it. So we've been looking for an airbag car or truck that needs work. The only requirement was that it needed to be a stick shift.

I had been keeping an eye out for another SSP, but nothing jumped off the page at me. I ran across a 95 Mustang GT convertible that was priced right and fit the term "project car", but I didn't like the idea of putting him behind the wheel of a powerful GT. So we kept looking. Earlier in August I found a nice prospect on AutoTrader. I spoke with the seller, and decided it was worth the 1 hour drive to check it out with the family.

The car was a 98 Mustang coupe with the 3.8L V6 and 5 speed transmission. Fourth gear was gone, the AC blew hot air, the windshield was cracked, the front brakes were thin, and the tires were worn. But the body was nice and rust-free, and the interior was clean. It was perfect! I showed Jack how to check out a car, and also how to haggle with a seller. A deal was struck, and we took the car home that weekend when the notary was open.

Jack is VERY excited. He has joined 4 Mustang forums, and is trying to learn all he can about the car. I got the car insured, and plan to get it tagged this week. Here's a pic -

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!