View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_ssp View Post
I dont understand. What smog certificates are you talking about?
The State of California has some smog information available through their website:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/pubwebquery/ve...pubtstqry.aspx

It is really "hit or miss" when you search for a car by license plate number or VIN. Their site also seems to be inconsistent too. My 1985 CHP used to turn up in a search, but not lately. The site also used to identify the location where the car was smogged. In terms of what Aaron supplied you, he had typed in VINs and likely CHP e-plate numbers, kept a list of the "hits", and then cross-referenced the smog certificate numbers to see if any matched. That was QUITE an undertaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project_ssp View Post
I was hoping there would be a loophole for a previous CHP, future show car I would prefer to paint it original black and white but if I have to i will settle for all black
There are no loopholes for a car that is driven on the roads in California. You can own a fully restored show car, but it must be trailered everywhere. IIRC, you may even be stopped and questioned if the car is on an open trailer, so know the rules and be prepared. Since you want to be able to drive your SSP, then you will need to rethink your options as John suggested.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!