View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Now THAT's Funny.

Paul,

I thought you had the cover on, based on your comment in your first post in this thread and your previous posts about having one. Thanks for the clarification, though.

One thing you (and anyone else with restored/marked/semi-marked cars) might want to consider is the use of the "out of service" or "not in service" verbage. Both of those can be ambiguous...implying that the car is a "real" police car. I'd recommend "Show car" or something a little clearer to the general public. Although, in your case, it probably wouldn't have mattered, given the issue you described.

Yes, normally I always use the cover....but my concern has been deterioration from the sun and foul weather use staining the "out of service" embroidery I had done on it which is why I wanted to get another made. I have no idea who originally made the one I have and it is very nice so I wanted to try to duplicate it...that way I didn't have to worry so much about wearing it out. I also had some trouble with the back of the snaps rubbing the lenses so I wanted to address that and have some padding put in to protect the lenses from rubbing at speed.

I had discussed the verbage issue long ago with a large number of LEO's around and all agreed "out of service" would be best because it was a genuine police car and "Show car" would give the impression to the general public that it was OK to just make a police car look-a-like. Likewise the impression to other LEO's would possible be that you built your own police car....at least with the out of service they understand that you restored an old police vehicle and that is why you have it. It is also common for police cars when serviced and driven by civilians to have the out of service verbage so there was already a precident set there for a civilian operating this type of vehicle which is another reason they recommended it. So that is why I chose the out of service verbage. Of course it might be an option to use both and read "Show Car-Out of Service"....that might be an even clearer message...??