View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
The White Fred Sanford

Normally the cover goes on whenever I leave my local town...Unfortunately in this case the cover was not on...only because I have my cover at the local trim shop for duplication....and my trim and paint supply shop are the same, the coincidence was that was one of the reasons I took the car that day so we could do a test fit on his copy of the one I have. I took that as the reason for the call...however the person that called flat out lied and claimed the lights were on....there is suspicion that is was a nearby business owner that does not get along with my trim guy just trying to cause trouble for his customers.

I also purposely took that picture without the cover on to show that the car does have a blue lightbar indicating a restoration to in service appearance...I left the magnetic GSP signage off because the car will never be seen with it other than on a show field or cruise in.

While law does not require me to place out of service badging or a cover on the bar but I do that anyway just to go above and beyond....also the reason why I chose the vanity plate I did.

Regardless of whether it was the guy down the corner just causing trouble or an average citizen, I am fairly certain the uncovered bar did not help....but with the obvious signage on the windows that call could have come in even with the cover on.

Another thing I am now going to do as another precautionary measure is modify the tree that holds the light controls and siren as a quick release with a plug connector....that can then be left at the shop and out of the car until needed for an event.

In the end, I blame nobody.....it's my car and I chose this collectible so I just take it as part of ownership and do what I can to maintain a good relationship with all local PD's. The car rarely gets driven but this goes to show that it doesn't matter...just that one time out and it takes one call. Nothing bad or even negative happened in this case but if I had NOT gone down and talked with the Police Chief I can guarantee that the next time I was in that city I would have most certainly been pulled over!