View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Admin

Alan,

We're not here to bash anyone who doesn't agree with what we are about, and opinions on cars are as diverse as the membership here is. We as SSP collectors are fanatical about these cars, and I personally hate to see one modded and abused. Multiply that feeling times about 100 with the car you have. Florida only ordered 50 in 1984, and I only know of 2 others (possibly three). That's not to say that more aren't out there, but none others exist that are in the collector circles that we frequent. With that said, I personally have no problem with an SSP that is modded. There are plenty of cars that are missing the original drivetrains, were wrecked and rebuilt, drag-raced when they came out of service, etc. etc. I even thought about buying one that had already been modded to use as a daily driver. I guess what I'm saying is that your car, much like any other 4-eyed SSP, is rare and deserves to be properly restored. ANY pre-87 SSP is fairly rare, but the '82-'84 cars are even moreso.

That was the point I was trying to make over on FEP. That guy took an original, SURVIVOR (much like your FHP car) and ripped out the drivetrain. That car made it 25 years without being messed with, and no one over there blinked an eye about it. If he would have posted that he was doing an aero-conversion, he probably would have been banned. I guess I really don't understand how preserving the outward appearance of the car is actually preserving the car.

There are plenty of fox-body cars to mod....rare, original, unmolested cars, IMHO, aren't the ones to do it with.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363