View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 06:55 PM

Hopefully this won't start any drama...but I need some help understanding this group. I'm curious why the general consensus of this site is completely against anyone doing anything but a purist restoration to one of these vehicles.

When done correctly, upgraded parts won't destroy the value or the collectability (if that is even a word) of the vehicle. Not that it would compare to an '84 Mustang, but take a look at your average HEMI Mopar up for sale/auction. Those with proper upgraded suspensions and mechanicals still sell well into the 6-figure range...so long as the majority of the car is still original. Despite the aftermarket upgrades these cars are highly sought after and considered a collectable.

For a more realistic comparison, take a look at the SVO community. The SVO is arguable the rarest Foxbody built (I had only one of 560-something in Oxford White built in 1986). When I was a part of it we embraced any owner who maintained the spirit of the SVO...whether it was through a purist restoration or building it to go fender-to-fender out on the track. So long as you weren't parting an SVO out for profit we all got along, because we were all working towards one goal: the preservation of the SVO. Curious why that isn't the case here....why can't one preserve an SSP and still have fun with it?

I understand everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the attitude I'm getting here is a bit on the extreme side. The way you talked about me in this thread you'd think I were planning to back half the car and throw a big block under the hood.