Thread: ecm questions.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM
Retired L.E.O.

Default Reflashed?

I was told back in 1986 or 87, by a Factory Rep that once a ECU (his words) was opened up and worked (on the inside), it "loses it's Operating System and had to be Re-flashed".

Just think of it as buying a new PC at BestBuy without an Operating system installed (software). Once you install Windows or some other system it will work fine. A ECU can work but doesn't know if it's in a 5.0 Mustang or a 6cyl F150, without the proper programming (called "apps" today). So it doesn't know what parameters to work towards. During that period, your ECU in your 92 visually looks just like the ECU in my 94 F150. It's what's programmed inside that counts.

At the time (1986) that could only be done at Ford (computer controlled engines were NEW back then). So it had to be sent back, but now the Speed Shops advertise that they can re-flash a ECU. I think a lot of places now have the programming. That's why if you buy an engine at a recycle yard the ECU goes with it.
I'm not saying you need this but it's something to keep "in mind" while your checking for lose/damaged wires, weak TFI or vacuum (sp?) leaks.

Do you have an ECU from a friends similar car (doesn't need to be a SSP) that you could swap out and then see how the car reacts?

Let us know what you figure out,
Jerry