View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDrama43 View Post
I will chime in for just a short time. The NOS vascar cable I bought from PPI on ebay last week has a piece of yellow tape on it with the following written in black ink "E8ZV9A20-BA". The tag does not appear to be a ford tag. I have NO issue with it not having some sort of Ford Motor Company original tag. I have several other mustang vascar cables and it matches up perfectly. It is the same length, diameter, construction etc. I plan on taking it to a speedo shop and seeing if I can get some more made?????? If I do and I sell them I will not advertise them as NOS, just quality replacement parts.

As hard as it is to find some of these parts sometimes you have to be resourceful....or just pony up when you can find the originals somewhere.

When I talked to JIm D about vascar cables the other day we discussed the possibility of using a crown vic cable. he states length would probably be an issue, and possibly the transmission attachment point being different. I don't know as I have never compared them.

I've gotten many parts from Ford with those yellow tape labels...usually speedo or parking brake cables...things of that nature.

Yes, you most certainly have to be resourceful. I've reproduced quite a few parts over the years...some easy, some not. A lot of research often goes into stuff like this too so that you can find something that works.

Cable length is an issue and the side of the transmission that the cable attaches can be an issue as well. If your application is on the passenger side of the transmission and the one you are attempting to use was on the Driver then it will be too short....the opposite...too long. For function you can sometimes hide the excess or it is just not seen unless under the car. Again though as discussed if you need functionality then Function takes priority over form.....if you can get both then all the better.