View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM
The White Fred Sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
Paul,

It is already documented on this site....check out the "Technical" section on Speedometers/Vascar cables. That's pretty clear documentation.

I understand your point about the "clouding" of OE equipment, but I'll offer that the selling of items on Ebay currently taking place that were NEVER on these cars deserves the attention you are giving this issue.

We are not going to see a "Concours" class anytime soon, and your point about the painting of the cable being doesn't make much sense. Do people replace body panels with used panels in the exact same colors? If I found a good, used fender for my '83 that was white, when the car is black, does that mean I can't use it?

The cable I found does have an engineering number on it, hence the Fairmont decode. NONE of the original VASCAR cables have any numbers on them, including the NOS one that just sold. Many, many other applications exist that used these two-piece cables and there are more out there.
That's good but what I meant was to add into that documentation about the useable substitutions....which you may have planned already this topic is still very young.

Hey, when it comes to ebay I often email sellers to correct them on their listing...most of the time it goes ignored though. I think they do it on purpose just to attempt to get more money for it.

A body panel is different than a cable....a cable is not supposed to be a painted part. That would be like spray painting plug wires so they looked correct. Maybe my outlook is different because I restore cars for a living but some things when you paint them lose something in their appearance. Average onlookers may never notice but those who know....know most of the time unless they are not paying attention.

OK, I thought you were referring to the ebay cable being the Fairmont cable...thanks for clearing that up.