View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post
Mike, you are missing my point entirely....I didn't say that you or anyone else claimed it is NOS.....just that unless it is documented then as time passes people forget what original was other than a few that keep up with it and the next thing you know 5 years from now there is an arguement between two people...one claiming that grey is correct and the other claiming black is correct. And it is not this site or anyone here that is doing that sort of thing but it is this site's and everyones duty to keep information clear so that the facts aren't lost in the future.

Fairmont and Mustang share a lot and have a lot of similarities but there is also a CV cable that "works" but they are also hard to find. But curious...if the cable has no numbers how did you come to the conclusion that it decodes as a fairmont cable? Maybe Jim's tag was removed but if it's the same cable I inquired about, it had a tag on it at the time.

How do you suppose a concours class will come about? and painting a cable is no different that installing a correct or reproduced Data plate to an incorrect carb on a Boss 429...sure the tag makes it look right but it really isn't....no difference for the purist. I am not a purist personally but I have done work for a few and know how they think....like it or not thats the way it is. I see a LOT of reference from people hoping the SSP's are like Boss 302's...well then, this is where it's headed if that is to be the case...again, like it or not.

I've stated from the start that there was nothing wrong with making something work...I do it often myself. However my point is nothing more than a warning of what I've seen in the past where as years pass by something that was a close match was passed on through the chain as being original by someone down the road. All roads are paved with good intentions but along the way someone is bound to change the story. If you were to document this on your site as an informational point then that would go a VERY long way to avoid this problem....but it does happen and to think it can't or won't is only just looking the other way because it doesn't affect you now. If these cars hit the big time down the road for collectors, this WILL become the sort of issue you may see as people try to restore or cobble together cars in search of the big bucks...money is after all, the root of all evil.

Paul,

It is already documented on this site....check out the "Technical" section on Speedometers/Vascar cables. That's pretty clear documentation.

I understand your point about the "clouding" of OE equipment, but I'll offer that the selling of items on Ebay currently taking place that were NEVER on these cars deserves the attention you are giving this issue.

We are not going to see a "Concours" class anytime soon, and your point about the painting of the cable being doesn't make much sense. Do people replace body panels with used panels in the exact same colors? If I found a good, used fender for my '83 that was white, when the car is black, does that mean I can't use it?

The cable I found does have an engineering number on it, hence the Fairmont decode. NONE of the original VASCAR cables have any numbers on them, including the NOS one that just sold. Many, many other applications exist that used these two-piece cables and there are more out there.

Mike

'82 SSP (Marketing Order)
'83 Colorado State Patrol #202
'83 Texas DPS
'85 Florida Highway Patrol #1422
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1187
'93 Florida Highway Patrol #1363