Thread: ecm questions.
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 12:38 AM
Retired L.E.O.

Default Right off the top of my head....

Two things come to mind;

#1- I rinsed my engine bay (years ago) and the car immediately began running terrible. Long story short I took it to the dealer, they hooked it up to their machine and I wound up replacing two sensors. Can't remember which ones they were but it ran fine afterwords. I remember they were easy to get to.

#2- That rubber distributor cover- I wound up removing and throwing away after I found corroded contacts and rotor on one of my cars. IT holds in moisture! Removed them from every 5.0 I would ever own. So, look inside you dist cap.

Remember the wiring on your car is 27 years old. It's old and has cracks that can't be seen with the naked eye which will short out when wet. So are the sensors AND their connectors (whose gaskets have shrunk).
I'd find a way to dry everything out, like parking it in the sun with the hood up for a two or three days, while it's drying I'd unplug each sensor/ plug connection/ wire connection and even the coil wire at the coil (one at a time) to inspect the inside of the connection for moisture and dry it out. Then fasten the connector plug before moving on to the next.

Hope this helps,
Let us know how it turns out,
Jerry