View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Thanks for the wise counsel guys!

I have a question. Since the unit number was not visible through the paint in the door jam, is there a way to determine the car's CHP unit number? I didn't know if any records were available that could be cross-checked against the VIN, or any other method. But looking at the SSP registry, the DSO and VIN sequence do match up with the other 3 CHP cars listed in 1985. I guess in some instances it may be impossible to document the service history of an SSP.
In the past you could check your VIN with the CHP Motor Transport division in Sacto in hopes of obtaining the unit's "Assignment Card" but we've been told that all the Mustang era records have now been purged. Having a VIN in the range of known CHP units helps confirmation as they appear to be assigned in blocks from the factory. CHP unit numbers have been spotted on front license plate brackets written in grease pencil so investigate that area and also try to work the door area where numbers were painted on in an effort to coax that marking out. Success has been had using paint solvent/thinner (be careful!) and also just using duct tape to try to peel the repaint off.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/