View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM

Texunter:

I saw a similarity between my SSP and yours: The radio mounting holes.

The first is my pic of my dash, with one large radio hole just under the windshield panel. It is 2" in size.

The second is the pic of your dash, and it has TWO 2" size holes in it. These holes were for the two-way radio harnesses. In the 89 (yours) they were undergoing a change from the old low band 39.5/39.3 frequency that used a old Motorola Motrac radio (the old Adam 12 style radio heads) and were just beginning the switch to 900mhz high band, using a Motorola Spectra system. So I figure yours has a hole for each of the two basic radios, one high, one low. They installed both systems in state cars for some years after the switch to maintain contact with agencies still on the old low band.

Mine had both ALSO, but by 93 the old low band was low priority, and so no longer regularly used except for as a tac frequency to talk to those other agencies that still operated on the old low band system. Thus it was installed low on the equipment 'tree', it not being the primary working radio as the 900 Spectra (then by 93) was that now got the prominent up high location.

Thus, just ONE hole up high for the 900 Spectra head.

I really do think you have a La. SSP. The radio holes along with the spot holes and the center of the roof (like mine) antenna all seems to match LSP equipment location specs too.

The THIRD pic is of the interior of a dk blue (Roemer) LSP 91 Cevy Caprice, showing their basic standard equipment installation layout of the day. Notice the Spectra head is up high, while the Motrac head is down low, actually on the side of the tranny hump near the accelerator pedal. It bears out my thinking I believe.

DSO codes CAN change in La. The bids go to dealers across the state from year to year, and I think all dealers east of the Mississippi river (Baton Rouge, New Orleans, etc) are under the Memphis DSO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radio hole.JPG (15.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 89 Dash.jpg (17.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg D-34, Steve's new 91 Caprice, Oct. 1993 (5).JPG (25.6 KB, 27 views)