View Single Post
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28HopUp View Post
Michael, I tend to think that the above SMPV originally started out as a black & white. If you look closely at the lower left edge of the rear bumper, there appears to be white overspray on the gas tank cover (and maybe on the exhaust tip too). It could have also been in an accident at one point and the overspray came from the repair, but I doubt it. The equipment (other than the white spotlights) is consistent with it having started out as a B&W. If we only had a contact at Motor Transport who could search for this unit's Assignment Card, then we would know for sure. I will ask Robert if he could look for this card as well as the others I asked him about 2 weeks ago.
Getting that card would be great Bill, thanks for sending that one by Robert. Hard to know when the repaint occurred without more documentation. Right now the information we have is that ALL the SMPVs started life as B&W units, even the ones built from new cars at M/T as that is the only way they were ordered from the factory. It would be interesting if any documentation ever turns up that can show otherwise.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/