View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe1013 View Post
Look at all those new correct tires!!!

I got some parts off a white CHP SSP that was sold for scrap in the Denver area. Front end damage that was too severe to repair for the owner. Do we have a total number for the white ones? That one has a CB antenna, right? Looks that way on my phone.

Nice pics.

I'd sure like to take a ride with Mr. Peabody and bring a set of those tires back with me!

That white SMPV does indeed have a field installed CB. I had the scuff marks made by a similar mag mount antenna on the original paint on the deck lid of my car in that same location.

I've always wondered if that pictured SMPV was one of the originals from Motor Transport that came equipped with all the special low profile equipment and may have later been re-outfitted with the standard dual spots, decklights and low-band whip. Or did it start out as a convential B&W unit and that was just repainted all white? Too bad we can't see the interior set up to check for that lay down shotgun rack that the originals had.

It is known that the famous blue SMPV E435300 was eventually drilled for spots as the magnetic and corded spots that were originally provided ended up being deemed useless and that evaluation could have applied to the u/c antenna and low profile deck lights as well. But still I have a hunch this one may have been a simple repaint that pretty much turned it into the configuration that was used with all the later Mustang SMPVs (overall white paint, white spots and everything else that was standard Mustang issue). Would have probably even been done in the field to turn a regular unit into an instant SMPV. Would be nice to know what office that pic is from, my bet is somewhere in the Central Valley or inland Southern CA.
1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/