View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I still think that putting them on or in a trailer is the best way to go (IN is ideal). Then, there's no worries about paint scratching magnets, painters tape gone wild, misinterpretation of signage, or running into the wrong LE on a bad day and getting into trouble.
Although an enclosed trailer is the ideal way to transport a marked SSP, I know that it's not practical for everyone. Speaking from my own experience, CHP #8395 was purposely not repainted black & white with markings for the sole purpose of being able to drive it on the street. The lights are all covered and inoperable, and the CHP logos/lettering are on magnets for display purposes only. Even unmarked, my sense of respect has grown for antique police vehicles, and I have become quite aware of the responsibilities associated with owning and operating an antique police car.

In terms of my original reason for creating this thread, I recently ordered a printed license plate frame that will say "NOT IN SERVICE" between the top two mounting holes. I plan to cut it out so only the top of the frame is used (to allow the inspection sticker at the bottom to remain visible). Delaware only requires a single DMV plate be placed on the rear of the car, but if the frame comes out good I will make another one for the front. I'll post a picture once it's done.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!