View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Default Steering Wheels Don't Taste Good

Over the holidays I was at a party and was hanging out with some other former LE officers. Not really a holiday subject, but somehow the subject of discussion became gruesome fatal accidents you've seen. I've seen many and each one is a story in itself, but i always remember the double-fatal crash that happened early in Los Banos on the Interstate. In the same area and not far away from the location where 0255 and I herded the cattle off the freeway and back onto their side of the fence. Fatals and major-injury crashes were common in that area, mostly due to the high speeds on the Interstate. Many of them were single-vehicle (solos) where drivers would fall asleep and drive off the roadway, even during the daytime. And at the speeds involved, it was usually bad.

It was early on a weekend morning. Dispatch had received a report from CalTrans (California Dept. of Transportation) that a vehicle had crashed into one of their trucks. 0255 and I arrived shortly and I could see right away what had happened. CalTrans had a crew working on the shoulder and had parked one of their large sign trucks a few hundred feet upstream, on the shoulder, to physically protect their workers. A good practice just in case a vehicle drifted onto the shoulder...which is exactly what happened. For unknown reasons, likely a sleepy driver, a standard-sized sedan with two occupants smacked square into the back of that truck at freeway speed. No brakes, no slowing at all. Both occupants were dead, and it was obvious they had both died instantly upon impact. But it was the driver that I won't forget. His body was still hunched forward, with the upper part of the steering wheel lodged in his mouth about halfway back into his head. The impact had sent him forward and he quite literally ate the steering wheel.
There wasn't much to do besides call for the Coroner, tow trucks, and write the report.