View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac88chp View Post
Repeated the drill 26 years later while courting wife #2 only this time for three years and the route was Monterey Bay to North SF Bay. Lots more traffic and congestion this time around made for a much less frantic pace.
Yes, the memories from those early days. So many. The time period for your Fresno trips (1983-1984); that was exactly when 0255 and I were in service in the Los Banos area. You drove right past the CHP office in Los Banos each direction. I mostly worked day shift there, but occasionally evenings (off duty at about 10 pm) so it's possible you might have driven SR152 when I was out there. Who knows, I might have seen your vehicle on my beat.

Even though the speed limit was 55 at the time, and they wanted it enforced, I typically never stopped anyone for speed alone until they exceeded 70 (lots of white-door warnings), and even then it depended on traffic conditions. On holiday weekends the highways had a lot of traffic and the traffic flow usually exceeded 70. My main concern in those conditions was patrolling the beat to show a presence (visibility) so drivers hopefully would at least try to pay attention and drive safe, plus assist disabled vehicles (no cell phones, or emergency phones along the highway in those days). I always, as a personal philosophy, balanced enforcement with service.