View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImEvil1 View Post
I'm surprised that they didn't, at the very least, cover over the decals for you. I wouldn't have wanted to drive it home like that.
Mike, I was expecting them to cover the decals too. Before we left, I printed lengthwise on a sheet of paper in bold large letters "NOT IN SERVICE" which folded laid atop the middle of the light bar in the rear window (keep in mind that we flew in one-way, and didn't check any bags). I brought a small roll of electrical tape with me on the plane, so I used that to cover up the DIAL 911 on the rear fender. They removed POLICE from the front fender, which left a really nice looking ghost image on the paint -

I have the same ghost image on the rear fender from where I removed DIAL 911 once we were home. You really have to catch the reflection in the right light to see the outline of the letters. On the side stripe, I ended up using one long piece of electrical tape, but didn't have enough tape to completely mask it at the time -

I don't have a picture with the add'l tape covering the rocker, but I plan to paint a magnetic strip to match the stripe that will cover the letters. I may use a product called "Nightshades" on the LED lights, which is an aerosol spray film used to black-out taillight lenses. The lights have a disconnect switch under the hood, so I will be compliant with local laws about not having working lights on the car while on the road. I told Jack that the only time the lights will be used is for parades, car shows, or in our driveway (for the kids next door, of course!). On another note (pun intended), they left the siren mounted in the car (they didn't want to pay to remove it, since the front-end of the car would need to be removed to access it). However, there are no controls for the siren, and I plan to keep it that way.

And here's a shot with my SSP in the background (before removing DIAL 911 from the fender) -