Thread: 1982 CHP #0327
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM

I've searched the Internet, there are two eBay listings, but they are the same seller and there is NO stock; the 10 available shown is an error. I've been in contact and they said they have been trying to take them down but eBay software keeps reposting. I have checked with Autoplicity, Summit Racing, Wrench Monkey, all of them. I even checked with the last manufacturer, ATP Automotive: nada.

I'm betting this is one of those parts that didn't fare well in service. Like most exhaust system components, over time rusted, seized up, and was removed completely or (like the ones I have) someone modified them by removing the butterfly valve and vacuum pot. In California, it will fail the smog check on a visual inspection just for that.

This part was used on a lot of Ford and Mercury products 81-86. I may have to go to a junkyard, crawl under some hulk in a puddle of oil, transmission fluid, and general putrefaction, then wrestle with two rusted, baked on nuts to remove one that's probably seized up anyway or just worn out. Then I can take it back to my shop, polish it up, unstick the valve/shaft, then the smog checker will be happy because it's there. This is my last resort.

I haven't gone to a junkyard for many years, but then I haven't gotten this deep into auto work since I was a teenager. Oh well, perhaps I can spin it into something good: Virtually going back in time and reliving youth...