Thread: MCA Question
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svopaul View Post

When it comes to SSP's I think the only fair way to handle a judging system is to use the standard as it came from Ford, there are too many variables and inconsistencies in regards to equipment to have a fair standard to apply and I agree that would be a mistake. Equipment was not installed with regard to cleanliness...it was a matter of function for a service vehicle and while some installers do clean installs, others are just there for a paycheck and don't care....so there is not a really fair way to judge something like that.

Of course this is why I stay out of judged shows.....my personal preference is to enjoy the car, people and hobby.....the judge in Pensacola that told me if I glued a piece of plastic to the car under the hatch bumper would "Look good and be a modification too" reinforced solidly why I don't get into judged classes....I'm sorry but I'm not gluing plastic circles to my car! I think it was a huge diservice for the judge to even suggest such a thing.
Very well said Paul. and a big thanks for getting this thread back on topic ! As it is now there is a difference in how a car is judged, based on who is judging it. My next door neighbor would take his 69 Boss car (with 4k original miles) to a show and get points deducted for something, so he would make the changes, take it to the next show and get points deducted for changing it. He became so unhappy over it he sold the car and cancelled his membership. All in all though I think the MCA is a wonderful organization and I belong and support them. I give them credit (the judges) as it is NOT an easy job and I think they all try to do their very best. As the Fox cars get older I believe the judging standards will be refined and tweaked, including adressing issues like the hatch rub marks etc. I have been approached regarding judging SSP cars and I believe that agency installed equipment should not take off points, but it should not be essential for the car to be correct. My 92 CHP car #9067 has been discussed here and I won an MCA gold award every time I took it to a show. There were several judges that told me they were judging the car as if the equipment wasn't there. My opinion is that our cars should be judged for correctness as they exited the Ford plant nothing more. Correct tires, wheels, and SSP specific equipment etc. There are many issues.....and paint schemes are one of them. How about the judge that wanted to take off points on my GSP car because I had painted the rear bumper twilight blue? I had a copy of a build sheet with the same DSO # that clearly showed it was painted that way at the factory. It took some talking but the judge finally understood. These types of issues will come up and it is up to us to educate the MCA because in the case of our cars if they are to be judged properly it is going to be up to us to do the judging as we (SSP owners and enthusiasts) are the most informed.

for the first time since 1998 there is only two left:

1984 Oregon SP unmarked
1986 Idaho SP