View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
I am only asking this because others obviously know more about MSHP that I do.

On some of the pages I see "SHP #" which I would assume is an acronym for "State Highway Patrol #". On the other pages I see "P Number" or "P#" which I assume the "P" is shortened from the "SHP" on other pages.

Where did "inventory" come from? I don't see that on any of the pages for this unit. Is that something that came from research on another unit?
I missed this earlier. The MSHP is the initials for the Missouri State Highway Patrol. I've seen people use SHP as a general abbreviation for State Highway Patrol. The MSHP assigns P Numbers to their vehicles and my understanding is is an Inventory. I don't know how they mark them today, but with the SSPs a metal rectangular plate was affixed in the inside driver side door frame (engine side) and that plate was stamped with the P Number.

The P Number is not a unit number or something a dispatch would use to call out to a certain vehicle on their radio. The number on the MSHP license plates is the Badge Number of the respective Trooper assigned to the vehicle. The MSHP SSP paperwork I have for 1993 and 1990 have hand written P Numbers, by the MSHP, written along side VIN numbers. The MSHP no longer has Trooper Assignment records for SSP Mustangs. So...on the surface you can't correlate a P Number to a specific assigned Trooper. But if the vehicle was in an accident and you obtain an Accident Report it will have the P Number, Plate Number and Assigned Trooper info. Photographic evidence can help, in some cases or in some cases verbal input from Troopers who knew a certain P Number and the Assigned Trooper.

For my recently acquired 1993 MSHP, I know the P Number as the plate is still present in the car with the stamping. More importantly, I have direct documentation from when they sold the SSP, from the MSHP Purchase Order paperwork and service documentation confirming that P Number to this VIN number. I have also spoken with the Assigned Trooper gathering much info on this MSHP SSP. Hope this helps.

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/