View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 06:44 PM

Default Update

Well, I've finally squared away some time to work on the whip clips. The phenolic material is very hard, and my lame Craftsman bandsaw isn't the easiest tool to use (the blade is quick to wander). I messed up a few clips before getting a system down. Since I don't have a drill press, I learned that it is much easier to drill out a slightly oversized block, match up the pattern to the hole so it lines up perfectly, and then cut out the clip. I've finally made one that looks good -

The one on the left is the clip I cut out, compared to a CHP original on the right that was loaned to me by Mike M. (ImEvil1). Note how small they are compared to the quarter. From the pictures I saw online, I always thought they were bigger than that.

I am still working on the metal base. Today I found the correct aluminum stock, but I need to catch up with a friend who had a metal-cutting bandsaw to cut them to size. The temporary base I made for mine is too short, and is not the correct shape, but it works for now -

So I just wanted to let those folks who expressed interest know that I am making progress, and should have the clips and bases finished within the next couple of weeks.

To everyone out there, wherever you are. Remember, the light at the end of the tunnel may be the police chasing you down in their own Mustang!