View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Motor finally pulled

Well, finally got the engine and trans out. Finished after dark, but I'll try and grab some pictures after work, tomorrow. Those have to be the easiest motor mounts that I have ever seen. The whole process was made more difficult, because my jack broke while it was holding the tailshaft up and the front end was up on jackstands. Had to drop the engine back into the mounts and reinstall the bolts and lift the car with the cherry picker, to remove the jack.

Some thoughts.

I was able to get the exhaust off intact, but since it will be a show car and no emissions will be required, is there a bolt on dual conversion that I can use that will not require any permanent modification to the car and doesn't look to un stock? If so can I just find a shorter belt and leave the air pump off? Is there a good way to preserve the stock exhaust. I have to say that the air pump to cat fitting is kind of shady, I wouldn't be surprised if that had been leaking.

How durable are the four speeds? Should I take it to a trans shop for a inspection teardown, while it is out of the car? (While I am thinking of it, clutch flywheel options?)

PS I'd forgotten how bad a pool of spilled gear lube could smell, good thing I parked the trailer over it.

"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes, that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery, that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green